MPAA files lawsuits based on confiscated P2P server logs

I just posted the article MPAA files lawsuits based on confiscated P2P server logs.

When the  MPAA went about shutting down BitTorrent websites since the end of last  year, they collected server logs which              potentially  gave them a list of IP addresses for files...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10778-MPAA-files-lawsuits-based-on-confiscated-P2P-server-logs.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10778-MPAA-files-lawsuits-based-on-confiscated-P2P-server-logs.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Bit torrent was NOT designed to hide the identity of its users… if anything its easier than the fastrack network and other similar ones to browse for illigal file sharers. (any client will obtain a list of ALL people with complete copies of a file in short order)

right, and what about the people with dynamic ips? i can already see old women and such being charged for p2p hah

I can generate some fake files dating months back that people at the MPAA and RIAA shared files they were not supposed to. Evidence like that is controversial and refutable under log pretenses. I guess given enough money, anything MPAA or RIAA does is deemed reasonable for retribution under current high social standards. Then again, this is what they wanted anyway, use of scare tactics and subpoenas to extort money from sources deemed legitimate. :B

I cant believe these sites actually kept big logs of who was doing what. To me thats the most amazing thing. If you run any type of warez site people - dont log who does what on it because your just asking for trouble. They cant make you hand over something you dont have!

My Question is does Torrentspy.com keep logs of people?

ISPs keep time-stamped logs. Reading them will tell you exactly who had what IP and when. All they need to do is compare that to the P2P server logs.
[edited by Goldengamegod on 27.08.2005 17:40]

websites like torrent spy just link to torrents off other websites, there not actually hosting all those torrents. Not that many sites anymore serve the torrents up front, you kinda get torrent search engine kinda sites that link to a torrent off a tracker. So even if torrentspy didn’t keep the log of you downloading the torrent, whoever runs the tracker might. however it does seem odd that a site like lokitorrent would keep logs. What would they need them for?

Either ignorance or malpractice would keep log files. Then again the CIA keeps their own log files, regardless of the original website. The information gathering of a site does not guarantee any type of protection, the information is captured regardless. The whole internet is monitored and everybody is kept track, we are all slaves in a way. Slaves to the standards of technologically advanced superpowers. :B There is not spoon, only a composition of metals in an infinite universe. The creator is time and infinity.
[edited by jasaiyajin on 28.08.2005 00:02]

people like loki got a good deal from the riaa, he probably gave up his logs in exchange for little or no fine/jail time. That is of course after he tricked thousands of people into donating to his team of lawyer$ who were supposed to be fighting for the people. How much did he trick them out of? 40-50k?

If you are named on the law suit - there is no defense. Judges (and perhaps juries) are so ignorant when it comes to technology, that the highest paid lawyer will win. Simple as that.

It seems so interesting to me that the MPAA busts a site and then coherses the owner to give up his logs. It seems to me the only way these logs are going to get into evidence is if the site owner is called to testify. You obviously cant just say you have logs and use that as a basis to sue a bunch of people. If that were the case we could manufacture logs implicating the RIAA and MPAA in all sorts of stuff. Certianly in this case the weight of the logs would be called into question unless the site owner gets on the stand and can establish that these logs were protected and not tinkered with. It will have to be proven that these logs are accurate, that people are credible and that there are no flaws in how they were handled. Obviously the MPAA with try to coherse people into settling, but I hope enough fight so that there are plenty of lawyers ripping this log issue to shreds. I have looked around on the net and seen where these torrent sites are still requiring people to register. This sure makes easy work for the MPAA because all they have to do is sit back like vultures and let those server logs fill up with registered users and activity. When some big bad little site oiperator gets busted he is going to sing like a bird and make his own deal too.
[edited by rla on 28.08.2005 22:38]