MPAA criticizes Google on low anti-piracy efforts

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: MPAA criticizes Google on low anti-piracy efforts[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2012/04/mpaa1.gif[/newsimage]

The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) has fiercely criticized Google and other internet giants with search engines. According to the MPAA, Google, Bing and Yahoo don’t put enough effort in combating piracy.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/mpaa-criticizes-google-on-low-anti-piracy-efforts-68845/](http://www.myce.com/news/mpaa-criticizes-google-on-low-anti-piracy-efforts-68845/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Well if the MPAA is pissed off, Google must be doing something right. :wink:

There’s only so much Google can do. Although Google is promoting certain alternative video platform projects such as XBMC and the navi-x plugin with the website navi-x.googlecode.com

So, there’s going to be some tension where their values don’t line up. Google must sell advertising and when they see their shift in search engine usage… they will do whatever it takes to keep customers from switching brands or alternatives.

In my own experience the deep level searches I used to find useful on google are now becoming better on other search engines… yahoo and bing are two indexers which have some of their own proprietary deep level search page indexes.

Since when is anti piracy measures Google’s problem? I find it very amusing and hypocritical that the US government allows the mpaa and riaa to hold ISPs accountable for pirated material and yet if someone buys a gun at Walmart and uses the gun to commit murder Walmart is not liable for the death and yet ISPs are made liable for having pirated material on their networks.

What does the MPAA expect? They want google to invent new technologies and software to filter pirating at their own expense (both in the costs of development as well as the lost revenue if they develop a reputation of censorship)?

lol maybe the MPAA would have better luck if they compensate google to do all this stuff.

If the MPAA would stop using 20th century sales models and climb into the 21st century things may improve. I download TV programs because in the country I live in they sometimes can take a couple of years to arrive. Of course if it’s reality or X Factor it’s same day as the US.

…And in other news, anyone who uses Google could easily find out why internet censorship sucks.

" Large internet companies should do more to prevent people from ending up on pirate sites, that ‘s their obligation, according to the MPAA"?

Seriously, why are companies like Google automatically “obligated” to do anything for the MPAA? If a person chooses to pirate, that’s not the entire Internet’s problem, neither is it the problem of any third-party companies. Saying that Google is “obligated” to stop piracy is like saying that We’re “obligated” to only buy MPAA movies (as opposed to indie films) to make up for profits lost from piracy.

When people get fat eating McDonald’s, their health care providers never threaten the fast-food giant, even though said giant is causing the health care company to loose money curing people’s health-related issues. Likewise HP wouldn’t get blamed if I use an HP computer to hack military computers, and leak important secrets (not that I ever would).

Also, if some people weren’t really looking for material to pirate, they probably won’t want to engage in piracy. That said, [B]wtf is the problem[/B]?!!! Pirates often know where to get pirated material anyway, so removing “bad” websites probably wouldn’t make any real difference.

Google should insist that the MPAA-RIAA have full and complete audits available on every project so every artist knows the basis for compensation levels. So many contracts don’t even ALLOW artist-requested audits! “Sorry, we’re telling you that you get 6% and you just have to trust us that this IS the proper amount.”

Chuck Berry. Linda Ronstadt. Elton John. The Band. And thousands - tens of thousands of others.

THAT would be installing a system for those entities to help accounting procedures and ensure their artists received their due. Pirates will never steal as much as studios do.

[QUOTE=paulw2;2700725]If the MPAA would stop using 20th century sales models and climb into the 21st century things may improve. I download TV programs because in the country I live in they sometimes can take a couple of years to arrive. Of course if it’s reality or X Factor it’s same day as the US.[/QUOTE]

Video CD and MPEG were invented and popularized during the late portion of the 20th century. The US entertainment industry should have revolutionzed their sales models by the time when the first CD Audio was made available by Sony and Philips. Since then, everything has lagged. MP3 came, and they tried everything to make it illegal. It was on the news of every website and every nonprofit forum and BBS of every country in every year as if it would be the very end of free and voluntary audio distrubition. It was the same with eDonkey and DVD. Repeated with CD recording. Same with the WWW, BitTorrent, smartphones running iOS and Android.

The question was always there: Bill Gates released his first bestselling book titled The Road Ahead in 1995. He wrote that book a few years after it became apparent the WWW and MP3 would be soon ubiquitous and all kinds of information and knowledge would be made free or nearly free. 20 years passed, but the entertainment industry hasn’t adapted.

I don’t think it’s a problem of 20th-century corporations not adopting 21st-century sales models. It’s 20th and 21st centuries fixed to Stone Age sales models.