MPAA admits to unauthorized movie copying

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060124-6036.html

What happens when an organization that is best known for inveighing against the unauthorized copying of movies gets caught doing exactly that? The Motion Picture Association of America was caught with its pants down, admitting to making unauthorized copies of the documentary This Film Is Not Yet Rated in advance of this week’s Sundance Film Festival.

It’s difficult to see how This Film Is Not Yet Rated—which ended up with an NC-17 rating for graphic sexual content—is being harmed. If nothing else, Dick is reaping a bountiful crop of free publicity on the eve of the Sundance Film Festival. The MPAA’s decision to make copies of the film without the copyright-holder’s permission reinforces the documentary’s message that the MPAA’s actions often reek of self-interest and hypocrisy.

read the forum discussion, some hilarious comments in there…e.g.

quote:
Given that the MPAA’s intent isn’t financial gain and that the whole situation may rise above the level of trading barbs through the media into legal action, making a copy may be justified.

??? none of file traders intent is financial gain… and did that lawyer just say, “as long as it looks like lawyers are going to get paid handsomely, doing illegal stuff may be justified”

lol!

gotta love the hypocrisy of double-standards…

A lawyer for the MPAA justified the organization’s apparent hypocrisy by saying that Dick had invaded the privacy of some MPAA staffers, which justified the MPAA’s actions.

Which means, if Aristotle’s logics apply, that p2p users whose privacy have been invaded by the MPAA are justified if they copy MPAA movies… :bigsmile:

Or, yes, double-standards.

So this means the normal end-user can just claim “I didn’t copy the DVD for financial gain” and the MPAA can’t prosecute them, right?

this is the perfect example of the new “golden rule” (from Aladdin, no less): he who has the gold makes the rules. :eek:

Great read, drpino. :iagree:

Don’t forget to alert Interpol!! They’ll fix their ass. :iagree: I wonder if the MPAA stripped out all the annoying warnings and FBI crap so’s the boss wasn’t annoyed whilst he fired up his pirate copy? All kidding aside. I hope that they push this issue as it underlines the hypocrisy of this organization. It PROVES they have no regard or respect for content creators and their works. It also shows that DRM and laws that prohibit copying are nothing more than controls added to increase profit.

I hope it will get pushed, although when I think about it, usually the ‘big’ organizations like this rarely seem to get the “bite” taken out of them they should. Just look at where the article was found–it was at a site (AFAIK) that’s not considered “mainstream,” as it wasn’t reported on CNN, ZDNet, CNET, or some place where it would get major exposure. :frowning: Not to do an X-Files pun, but “the truth is out there” if someone wants to dig and find it. Unfortunate thing is that those few finding out what’s really going on are rarely in a position to make the difference needed to change things for the better.

Classic…

What should really happen is it should go before the Supreme Court…the court will unanimously rule that the MPAA owes everyone who has purchased a legal copy of any movie or CD in the last 18 years 10 times the retail price (regardless of pruchace price) (20 times if it contains copy protection) and all copyright law will revert to the real law (pre-digital changes). and the MPAA will be disbanded. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

“gotta love the hypocrisy of double-standards”

That aside im not sure how you feel or for that matter how anyone else feels but all of this has made me and most likely many others very indifferent to all of this bull. I pretty much do what ever I want anytime I feel like doing it and I don’t pay any attention to Hollywood. I can look at a list of downloads
But there are so many stinkers most of the time I don’t even feel compelled.

yeah! That’s good. I didn’t copy the dvd for financial gains! I copied it for entertainment gains! Justified!

most of the films i watch are not Hollywood productions…for the very reason you cite above…

The plot thickins. Hop over to afterdawn.com and read about it. Seems this guy may have been stalking hollywood workers.

that’s in the article i linked to originally…3rd paragraph + subsequent quote…

can’t say Im suprised

Comin from dealing with the movie industry its not uncommon that the studios ‘purposely’ leak their digital footage and movies onto the internet as its a cheap way to get ppl to talk about it and its free advertising, plus ‘hackers got it’ is an easy and acceptable scapegoat. If you want something funny a year or so ago Sony Pictures sued Sony for their DVD burners as they violated copyright laws (so Sony sued itself, go figure).

being familiar with the industry from the inside as well, i know that studios generally don’t “leak” any material directly…they have contracted marketing agencies do such…they know the implications of being tied to “leaks” even if they’re for the purpose of “creating buzz”…and they never release entire films…15mins at the very most…

the Sony Entertainment V Sony Electronics issue is definitely ironic but not surprising given their lines of business and interests…

If you want something funny a year or so ago Sony Pictures sued Sony for their DVD burners as they violated copyright laws (so Sony sued itself, go figure)

Brilliant, simply brilliant! :clap: As for MPAA making copies of/for itself and then sueing people for making a backup for their own purchased DVD, it’s enough to make you :Z

Very, very true. Its corporate America attacking.
Need…more…money!