MP3 Track Order on CDs

vbimport

In researching a problem I have, it appears that the problem came over on the Mayflower. The playback order on all my mp3 CDs is not the same as it is in the playlist used to burn the CD. For example, Track01 never plays first. Track02 usually plays first, then some number of tracks later, Track01 finally plays.

When I view the contents of the cd in WinEx, the filelist is in the order of the play list (i.e. Track01, Track 02, etc.)

I get the same problem when Using different applications to burn my mp3 cds.

Is this indeed an application problem or is this just how mp3 recording works???

So, you are making data discs, with MP3 files on them?

That being the case, then yes, generally, a given player will read in alphanumeric order, and the fix is to make your files named in the order they should be played. FI:
01 track one name.mp3
02 track two name.mp3
03 track three name.mp3

If you sort them by name and that is not the order they are playing back in, then, well, [I]something else is going on[/I], and more details would be handy. When burning an MP3 CD, unless you include a playlist as a file that the player can use, and open that playlist with the player (some do support m3u), nothing but the file name and directory structure are relevant.

I use WinAmp and a plugin called ‘Playlist Unpacker’ when I make an MP3 CD. Automatically pre-pends ‘PL001…PL002…PLXXX’ to the file name, and that keeps them in order.

[QUOTE=Cerbie;2516800]So, you are making [B]data discs[/B], with MP3 files on them?

That being the case, then yes, generally, a given player will read in alphanumeric order, and the fix is to make your files named in the order they should be played. FI:
01 track one name.mp3
02 track two name.mp3
03 track three name.mp3

If you sort them by name and that is not the order they are playing back in, then, well, [I]something else is going on[/I], and more details would be handy. When burning an MP3 CD, unless you include a playlist as a file that the player can use, and open that playlist with the player (some do support m3u), nothing but the file name and directory structure are relevant.[/QUOTE]

I use the following filename structure:

artist - trackno - name.mp3

where

artist is the same for all tracks in a given burn
trackno is in the format 01, 02, …etc.
name is the name of the track

The following compilation (no m3u file) -

joeblow - 01 - track one.mp3
joeblow - 02 - track two.mp3
joeblow - 03 - track three.mp3
etc. 04 through 9
joeblow - 10- track ten.mp3

results in the following play order:

joeblow - 02 - track two.mp3
joeblow - 03 - track three.mp3

plays in correct sequence until

joeblow - 09 - track nine.mp3
[B]joeblow - 01 - track one.mp3[/B]
joeblow - 10 - track ten.mp3

The only time the tracks play in sequence is when the cd is played through the computer’s cd drive.

I uploaded a compilation but I don’t know if anybody saw it.

If any more info would be helpful, let me know and I’ll gladly supply it (I just don’t know what would be more helpful…)

If need be there are some posts here at myce I would need to find the links for.They discuss further the numbering of .mp3 data CDs.
First I will just try to explain simply.
I think you misunderstood what Cerbie posted.You took the 01 , 02 , 03 ,etc. as track numbers.Easy to do as that is what they end up being. Those numbers actually are the.mp3 play order & must be First.
This is how it needs to be using your example:
01 - joeblow - track one name.mp3
02 - joeblow - track two name.mp3
03 - joeblow - track three name .mp3
etc.

Cholla,

Thank you for your help. Placing the track number at the beginning of the filename fixes my problem!

Now all I have to do is reburn some 50-odd CDs…

Where can I find info that would explain to me why mp3 burners do not burn in the order of the filename if the filename begins with an alpha character???

Now off to reburn…

Thanks again!

[QUOTE=theskeezix;2516899]Cholla,

Thank you for your help. Placing the track number at the beginning of the filename fixes my problem!

Now all I have to do is reburn some 50-odd CDs…

Where can I find info that would explain to me why mp3 burners do not burn in the order of the filename if the filename begins with an alpha character???

Now off to reburn…

Thanks again![/QUOTE]The player sees a hierarchical file system, much like what you are using on your hard drive, with no [I]inherent[/I] order to the files stored there. The player gets a directory listing of those files, and then generally sorts them alphanumerically. While they may be burned in a certain order, that order has little to do with what order the player will decide to use them. It’s not that they get burned in some particular order, but that an MP3 CD is just a data CD, and things like intended track order are not encoded on the disc.

The files are almost certainly being read in proper alpha order, but typical computer-read alpha order often differs from natural alpha order. For example, non-English characters may end up in non-intuitive places, 2 comes after 10, and so on.

FYI, I’ve used the following naming scheme for many years, to tackle this problem across any and all platforms:
[Artist name][year] [album name][2-digit track number] [track name]

Edit: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2007/12/sorting-for-humans-natural-sort-order.html
Apparently I have been completely oblivious to Microsoft having implemented a natural sort for the file name column… :doh:

Your Welcome theskeezix
You might find the information in these links helpful:

The link Cerbie posted does some explaining of natural order but that is more for coders to use & work out so us regular users can have the computer do what we want. Then alphabetical order might work. Till then the numerical order makes data CDs burn & play in a way CD players can recognize .