MP3 to wav or no?

vbimport

I have several mp3 audio files on my computer and wish to burn to cd. I burned one tonight to try it out with windows media player 9 and it seemed to work pretty well. I never converted them myself(mp3 to wav) and not sure if wmp9 did it for me. When I try to check the cd it shows .cda or cd audio track. Not sure if this was the best way to do it or not, just know it works in my old sony cd player on my stereo.

My questions are do I leave it in mp3 format and burn it with wmp9 and does it change the format for me automatically?

I dl the trial version of nero 6 and found how to convert them to wav but now they are much larger files but are they better than the mp3 version?

My mine is spinning now its midnight here in NY and have been reading this site now for around 3 hours for answers. So if I’m not making any sense forgive me.

I guess what it comes down to mp3 or wav and how to convert the easiest?

And wmp9 or nero 6 and use which for what? I also have musicmatch

I’m using the ltr-40125s
Thanks any help would be great im going to bed LOL

BKB

If you burn a music cd from mp3’s, it doesn’t make a difference whether you convert it first to .wav or not.

The burnprogram is able to convert mp3 -> audio cd “on the fly” (=while burning). Actually, it creates virtual .wav files (in the pc’s memory or temp file) and burns those files as cda-tracks on the cd. A few years ago, pc’s weren’t capable of that “on the fly” decoding, because they were too slow for both decoding and writing at the same time. So people with a slower pc had to decode the mp3 to .wav first.
The mp3 contains all recoverable data from the original song and converting them back to .wav doesn’t add usefull data. So if the mp3 is bad encoded, the .wav won’t sound any better.

Offcourse the quality you end up with, also depends on the codec you use (=piece of software that in this case converts your mp3 to virtual .wav). Therefor I’d suggest to use Nero to start with (and good quality mp3’s). It’s pretty easy to drag and drop the mp3’s in the tracklist and the quality is very good.

In short; with most pc’s, you don’t need mp3 -> .wav conversion to create music cd’s.

I guess my next question is a quality mp3 is what?
128 bit rate or higher? Does it get any better above 128 or can’t you really hear the difference?

BKB

128kbps used to be the “standard” at the very beginning of mp3 (I think mainly because broadband internet wasn’t available to public as it is now).
However most “experts” will tell you that 256kbps is a minimum and it should be ripped with this or that codec at those specific settings etc.
But to start with, I think that ripping at 192kbps with EAC and the “lame”-mp3 codec should give you compact files with a small loss of music-quality. (use google on EAC and lame-codec to download them) You’d probably hear the difference between those mp3’s and the original cd when listening to both “at the same time” through very HQ-headphones, but hey, who actually does that? :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t :slight_smile:

You used to be able to use Winamp to convert the mp3s to wav.
There are a ton of apps to this.

I use one called Ez mp3 to wav. I can batch a bunch of folders together and let them run over night or during when I am work.

If you see the cda or cd audio track, then I think they are in wav format. And yess the larger files are normal when they get converted back to wavs. Usually a good rule of thumb to follow with the mp3to wav ratio on hard drive size is to figure around 10 times or so what it is as a mp3. So a 1 meg file would come to around 10 megs or so.