MP3 PLAYER - should I buy this one

vbimport

Thats right, time for Mr. X to get an MP3 player and get with current times. I found the following as it seems very small, portable, and 1gig is probably enough for me.

Maybe someone has it and can give me a review in brief…

3 different links indicate 3 different colors I am considering, yes yes yes this may be a poll

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3756866

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3756867

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3756868

hmm, same price as the 1GB iPod Shuffle, the 1GB Creative Zen Nano, the 512MB Sony Bean (1GB is 179.99) and a slew of arguably better flash-based players…

any particular reason why you want a relatively no-name branded player…and one from the evil Wal-Mart nonetheless? :confused:

in short answer and IMHO… no :disagree:

because its 10x smaller, taking the subway everyday into manhattan i would prefer to conceal anything i can expecially in a price range of over a 100bux

legitimate but overly paranoid reason IMO…i also travel plenty on public transportation in NYC…plus the fact that all the players i listed above are so small, if you have trouble concealing any of them, you should think about baggier clothes :stuck_out_tongue:

i don’t wear overly baggy clothes but have had no trouble concealing my most recent discman (smallest avail), a 3rd gen minidisc player (far from small) and my 40GB ipod…

i will consider bagier clothes dr p… so what does everyone else say

I think it’s awfully cute.

And, IMHO, I certainly wouldn’t call the iPod Shuffle a great product–it doesn’t even have a display, which, much to my dismay, the geniuses at Apple brainwa–er, marketing–has somehow managed to spin into a “feature” (strip away that Apple brand name and marketing–let the product stand for itself–and I bet the iPod Shuffle will become the iPod Failure). I’d take this cube over the Shuffle any day (besides, who wants to be stuck using Apple’s proprietary non-open iTunes?). Dunno much about the competition in the flash-based market, but based on what I’ve seen, there really isn’t much variation except for appearances and that there is really isn’t much in the way of market differentiation, so I’d probably go for it.

(Off-topic: I don’t think there’s anything wrong with buying from Wal-Mart. It’s one of the rare cases in economics where a company gains market power through merit and efficiency and not through government favoritism or dirty play; to call Wal-Mart’s tactics unethical neglects many of the fundamental differences between Wal-Mart tactics and those of truly misbehaving corporations.)

not gonna get into the Apple sucks cause of their closed system debate…if you know what you’re doing, it’s far from closed…(i don’t even have iTunes installed)…

re your OT reaction: you obviously don’t know much about walmart…
http://dmoz.org/Society/Issues/Business/Allegedly_Unethical_Firms/Wal-Mart/ (the first PDF listed is a particularly interesting read)…

Actually I was going to buy this cube too but our store didnt have any instock. I just liked the fact that it was so small and had so much storage. I was also considering the ipod shuffle, but like code65536 said it doesnt have a display and I dont want to have to use itunes and the drm associated with it.

Maybe we should get this one: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3650607

I would buy Sony over Apple anyday. And I think this one has expandible memory. Maybe I’ll order this one.

Well, of course. But it’s the principle of the matter. :stuck_out_tongue: To be quite honest, it’s a pet peeve of mine to see people going around shouting Micro$oft is evil (not that I have any sympathy for them; I dislike them just as much as I dislike Apple) while everyone adores Apple when they’re guilty (and sometimes even more so) of a lot of the things that people hate Microsoft for, but because Apple’s the underdog with a very charismatic leader and has a certain electronic sex appeal, people seem to gloss over that.

[off-topic]

I’m an econ major, and I did a case study on them and a paper. But mind you, like most economists, I lean towards libertarianism and am very pro free-trade (which usually does not go down well with most people in the world). So I recognize that I come from a different background on these things and that most people will probably disagree, so let’s just agree to disagree. I just want people to consider that every story has two sides and that, like most things in this world, it’s all very easy to get one-sided views about this, which is what the popular media has been dishing out for the past decade on this topic and that there are legitimate reasons for most economists to praise WM despite the popular vibe. And yes, I’ve read many reports and seen many documentaries that talk about the evils of WM, and, yes, they are very one-sided, and they do skew a lot of information. And yes, the left is just as capable of disinformation as the right. I like to stay in the middle. :stuck_out_tongue:
[/off-topic]

my apologies to xtacydima in advance for hijacking your thread…

preaching to the choir…

[off-topic]
I’m an econ major, and I did a case study on them and a paper. But mind you, like most economists, I lean towards libertarianism and am very pro free-trade (which usually does not go down well with most people in the world). So I recognize that I come from a different background on these things and that most people will probably disagree, so let’s just agree to disagree. I just want people to consider that every story has two sides and that, like most things in this world, it’s all very easy to get one-sided views about this, which is what the popular media has been dishing out for the past decade on this topic and that there are legitimate reasons for most economists to praise WM despite the popular vibe.
[/off-topic]
i was an econ major as well and also consider myself a libertarian and i do understand that there are two sides (or more) to every story…still doesn’t change my view that Wal-Mart isn’t a godsend to the economy…far from it…(read the PDF from the page i linked to above)…

mobiBLU Cube DAH-1500 1GB, Smallest biggest bang for your 1GB buck and if you want a player that is solid state but will be upgradeable I suggest a SHIRO SX MP3 player that is SD card upgradeable. Bolth these players have amazing battery life bolth have a OLED screen and bolth could be smuggled up your rectum if the RIAA passes a law that MP3 players are deemed illigal. I hate the RIAA!!!

[off-topic]

reads PDF
makes note of a point that is omitted and that could turn the entire argument around
sends you a PM because this is off-topic and I should probably set a good example :wink:
[/off-topic]

Samsung YP-T6Z for teh win.

Mate of mine has one of these, he loves it.

not having a display is exactly why I ruled out the Ipod shuffle, that and I do nto like th elook of apple products, they just don’t appeal to me.

I have no problem buying from Walmart, it’s a store and I happen to like it actually, I see no reason why this would be a problem.

I wish the SNR was listed for the cube, I don’t really like lower than 80dba for signal to noise ratio as it is just poor quality, but I can’t find these specs for the cube anywhere thsu far