Mp3 on DVD

Hi there,

I’ve got 2000 mp3s that I want to store on a DVD-R DL.
This is easy to do with Nero, however, as I read on this forum, it depends whether the DVD standalone player can play a DVD mp3 or not.

I have a Denon DVD-2900, therefore I made a test, burned 5 mp3s on a DVD-RW and put it into my machine: No Disc
I did expect this, given that the player is dated 2003 and can only read CD mp3s, however I made a test in order to be 100% sure.

I believe this is the problem of many other readers in this forum, so I thought, is there an alternative way to achieve the same result?

Perhaps, is there a way to “cheat” the DVD Player so that it reads the DVD media as a CD, maybe by changing the header info?

Just to brainstorm and know if any of you found a workaround??

Thank you!
Alex

[QUOTE=Metallo;1983108]
Perhaps, is there a way to “cheat” the DVD Player so that it reads the DVD media as a CD, maybe by changing the header info?[/QUOTE]

For what I know this is impossible, because CD and DVD are totally different media, and the player cannot be fooled.

The only thing that can be done to “cheat” the player is changing the booktype of +R DVD in ROM, so the player will see the burned disc as a DVD-ROM and not as a DVD +R.

I have no idea if this will solve the problem however.

Well first of all that error message of ‘No disc’ doesn’t sound right. Did you finalise the disc after recording the MP3s on it…?

However I suspect your main problem will be that the DVD player is deliberately designed not to read MP3s on DVD. Certainly Philips machines from that era has a firmware restriction.

If you try to fool the machine to read it as a CD then that certainly won’t work, because the drive assembly will use a different and incompatible laser head.

Furthermore; even if this did all work I doubt that a DVD player would be able to read a dual layer disc in anything other than DVD-Video mode.

I think you need to use a program that will store the audio as a special format to make it compatible with DVD players (maybe DVD Movie Factory but you’ll have to check).

Edit: Geno got there first :wink: :flower:

Well, I made several MP3 DVD on a DVD-R using NERO Express Data DVD mode and plays alright on my Pioneer DVD player. It reads as a Data disc and just hit “Play”.

[QUOTE=Ripperfreak;1983248]Well, I made several MP3 DVD on a DVD-R using NERO Express Data DVD mode and plays alright on my Pioneer DVD player. It reads as a Data disc and just hit “Play”.[/QUOTE]

Have you read post #1 carefully?

I’ve got 2000 mp3s that I want to store on a [B]DVD-R DL[/B].

Anyway, there is absolutely no way to cheat the [B]MEDIATYPE[/B] of a recordable disc.

there are several ways to make “mp3 on DVD” compatible with any normal standalone dvd player.
Either use winoncd or google for “AudioDVD” and “DVDAudio”.

Hi,

Well, I have a Denon and they support DVD-R/RW standard only, my player does not support DVD-ROM because the booktype field of DVD-R cannot be modified unlike the one of DVD+R, this is also known as “bitsetting”.

I have to make a correction, when I enter the disc it says: [B]No Play[/B]

What I could possibly do is to convert the mp3s to .ac3 and then burn as DVD Video (importing .ac3 Audio only + a menu) but I don’t like the idea to convert 2000 songs from .mp3 to .ac3, not only because of the time it takes but also for quality reasons. (mp3 is already rubbish enough on its own :()

Maybe, what I will try is to test with a DVD+R (Denon should anyhow be able to read DVD+R) and then burn it with DVD-ROM booktype, maybe I can fool the player this way, but I doubt :rolleyes:

I will let you know if I succeed or not.

Cheers
Alex

Then try with DVD-R, your player already supports that for sure.

If your player doesnt support mp3 on DVD natively, then creating suitable “AudioDVDs” for your player always would include Re-coding of the mp3 files.
The music will be recoded from mpeg1 layer 3 aka mp3 into mpeg1 layer 2.

[QUOTE=chef;1983358]Then try with DVD-R, your player already supports that for sure.

If your player doesnt support mp3 on DVD natively, then creating suitable “AudioDVDs” for your player always would include Re-coding of the mp3 files.
The music will be recoded from mpeg1 layer 3 aka mp3 into mpeg1 layer 2.[/QUOTE]

Hi,

My player supports mp3 on CD only, I tried already DVD-R (No Play) or tried to burn by changing the booktype to DVD-ROM but for what I said in my previous post, a DVD-R booktype cannot be changed.

I think that an mp3 CD or DVD is nothing else then a CD or DVD Data, I don’t understand why it should recode to mp2.
My player plays also DVD-A and SACD.

Alex

mp2 is the standard audio format used on DVDs. At least for stereo stuff, 2 channels.
So this way will create a small video part and then fill up the rest of the dvd with mp2 coded musicfiles.
That way any normal player can use that “music dvd”.

[QUOTE=chef;1983369]mp2 is the standard audio format used on DVDs. At least for stereo stuff, 2 channels.
So this way will create a small video part and then fill up the rest of the dvd with mp2 coded musicfiles.
That way any normal player can use that “music dvd”.[/QUOTE]

OK, so that’s basically what I said in my post n° 6, I mentioned .ac3 instead of .mp2 because the former has aften got better compatibility, but again, I do not like much the idea of recoding mp3 :doh:

Alex

Then you need to use CDs or a new player.
You could try with DVD-R DL of course, but I dont know if its worth the struggle. DVD-R DL has booktype DVD-R by default stampered during the manufacturing.

If you don’t like MP3 then I’m afraid AC-3 is a compression nightmare. Especially if you go from one to the other.

As [B]chef[/B] said: if you want to play this audio on a DVD then it almost certainly has to be re-encoded to MPEG1 Layer II. That’s not so bad, since it uses less compression than the MPEG1 Layer III (aka ‘MP3’). :wink:

I put all my .mp3 files on cds all the time, the quality is great, I wouldn’t have any other format.

Has anyone been able to burn MP3s to a DVD-DL and play it in their stand alone player yet?

My Pioneer DVD player plays the DVD-Rs just fine and was curious.

OK guys, I will make a test encoding the mp3 to mp2.

Now, the fastest tool I am aware of is ffmpeggui, but it does not support batch encoding.

I tried to get Batchffmpeggui.net to do the job, but it gives me an error when I try to open it, therefore, at least for the time being, it is out of question.

Anybody knows how to solve this?

Thank you
Alex

[QUOTE=justcallmebob;1983674]Has anyone been able to burn MP3s to a DVD-DL and play it in their stand alone player yet?

My Pioneer DVD player plays the DVD-Rs just fine and was curious.[/QUOTE]

What media exactly, DVD-R OR DVD-R DL?
Only few standalones accept mp3 on DVD playback by default, still.
See the videohelp database for more info.

@metallo,
I would use winoncd for this.

Sorry Chef,

I got a failing eyesight and can’t read properly I shoudn’t be here as I am a mechanical engineer by profession.

I just tried to address the statement of him tried to burn MP3 on DVD-RW so I thought okay to say it is possible to burn it on DVD-R. I didn’t expect to be subjected to question short of a reprimand.

Again, my apologies sir If I strayed out of your topic.

[QUOTE=Ripperfreak;1983248]Well, I made several MP3 DVD on a DVD-R using NERO Express Data DVD mode and plays alright on my Pioneer DVD player. It reads as a Data disc and just hit “Play”.[/QUOTE]

Hey man,

be quiet :slight_smile:

A question, which model is your Pioneer and which year?
The problem is not the impossibility to burn data over a DVD-R, which is well possible as you say, but simply the player, especially those manufactured 4 or 5 years ago like my Denon :iagree:

Cheers
Alex

[QUOTE=Ripperfreak;1983951]Sorry Chef,

I got a failing eyesight and can’t read properly I shoudn’t be here as I am a mechanical engineer by profession.

I just tried to address the statement of him tried to burn MP3 on DVD-RW so I thought okay to say it is possible to burn it on DVD-R. I didn’t expect to be subjected to question short of a reprimand.

Again, my apologies sir If I strayed out of your topic.[/QUOTE]

Hey Ripperfreak,

no need to. :flower:

[QUOTE=chef;1983878]What media exactly, DVD-R OR DVD-R DL?
Only few standalones accept mp3 on DVD playback by default, still.
See the videohelp database for more info.

@metallo,
I would use winoncd for this.[/QUOTE]

Memorex DVD+R DL . . .