MP3 -> minidisc

vbimport

Hello,

I’m trying to transfer some songs to minidisc through optical out. This works fine on a Shuttle PC with onboard sound and optical out.
However, I can’t get it to work on another PC with a SB Audigy Platinum (with the optical out through the 5,25" front).
When I play an MP3 with the PC and press “record” on the minidisc, the display says: “NO COPY”. The optical cable outputs red light, so the Optical output works (I even here the music through my minidisc’s headphones when I press record). It just doesn’t record it. With the Line-out (analog), it works fine.

Any ideas?

Oh, minidisc is Sony MZ-R909

http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-R909.html

Big thanks!

If I remember right (when I still used my minidisc), NO COPY means that the SCMS bit is enabled, so you can’t make a copy second generation digital copy of a first generation digital copy. I guess that the SB Audigy somehow passes this SCMS bit.

Solve? I’d be interested as well :slight_smile:

That would uhmm… , suck :slight_smile:
Strange though, that my other optical outs are not affected. :confused:

Originally posted by Wannes
That would uhmm… , suck :slight_smile:
Strange though, that my other optical outs are not affected. :confused:

I wouldn’t be wondered if only some manufacturers implement this technology used in commercial digital recording devices (Minidisc, Audio CDR, DCC).

If there’s no program to “hack” the SCMS bit, It probably can be circumvented by putting RAW audio on your minidisc. Save a MP3 as RAW audio with Soundforge and try again I’d say…

Great idea!
I’ll try first with an original audiocd. That should work right away, doesn’t it?

edit:
Hmmm it doesn’t work from cd either. (while that would be a first digital copy, which should be possible I guess)

Originally posted by Wannes
[B]Great idea!
I’ll try first with an original audiocd. That should work right away, doesn’t it?

edit:
Hmmm it doesn’t work from cd either. (while that would be a first digital copy, which should be possible I guess)
[/B]

No that’s a second generation!

generation 1: cd -> computer
generation 2: computer -> md

Your Soundblaster uses DRM:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/4793

This is probably why it doesn’t work…