MP3 Files on a DVD-R for Car-dvd-player for playback... POSSIBLE?

vbimport

Hi Guys,

What I have is a Pioneer AVH-6500 DVD Car Stereo. What I have in mind is to put some my mp3 collection onto a single DVD-R for my Pioneer to play.
But by doing so it does not play any mp3 files, & this is why I am here. From what I understand is that if I were to record a mpeg video file with audio on to a DVD-R but some how leaving out the video or setting it as blank leaving just the audio it in theory should play just like a normal DVD but only without video. How or is it possible to do so or even better is there a simpler way of getting mp3 onto DVD-R for my player to play.

It reads the following CD-ROM, CD-R CD-RW - DVD-R, DVD-RW.
Audio Formats MP3, MP3-PRO, WMA.
Video Formats MPEG

Additional info; It supports Dolby Digital, DTS, ID3 tag, m3u, ISO9660 format Level-1 & 2 - with Romeo & Joliet…

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

There is an USB port in that player? If Yes, you can use an USB pendrive :slight_smile:

I’ve never understood why car stereos don’t do this. MP3 decoding isn’t any harder from a DVD-R than a CD-R. Been looking for a stereo that does this for 10+years… it took a tiny PC installed in there for me to do it.

Not really much help, but my Alpine double din unit plays mp3 DVD and RW’s perfectly.

[QUOTE=geno888;2501958]Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

There is an USB port in that player? If Yes, you can use an USB pendrive :)[/QUOTE]

No there is not, not on this one. Although I have taught about getting one it would save lots of troubles as it is so simple just plug n play.

[QUOTE=Electrox3d;2501967]I’ve never understood why car stereos don’t do this. MP3 decoding isn’t any harder from a DVD-R than a CD-R. Been looking for a stereo that does this for 10+years… it took a tiny PC installed in there for me to do it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know what you mean but that must come at a cost considering all the gear that’s required & installation as well.
That is something I would do when if I get a very nice car that I would keep for years.

[QUOTE=jubjubbird;2502115]Not really much help, but my Alpine double din unit plays mp3 DVD and RW’s perfectly.[/QUOTE]

Really! How do you mean it plays perfectly ? Are you talking about compatibility, or it’s ability to play a bunch of mp3’s files from DVD-R like it would from a CD-R?

Just an idea. If there is a way to connect any mp3 player (something like this for example), maybe you can still solve the problem :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2502284]Just an idea. If there is a way to connect any mp3 player (something like this for example), maybe you can still solve the problem :)[/QUOTE]

Great idea this is quite possible as well as I do have an input link L+R you know the red & white connectors labeled as AUX-in. However this requires an additional wire from the back of the unit to the music source, & a charger to keep my iPod alive. Not that this is too complicated or anything but in my mind this takes away the simplicity of just inserting a disk into the unit. This kind of makes me old fashioned I guess.

I need somebody who really understand codecs & formats. I’m almost sure that it is actually possible to achieve playing mp3’s of a DVD-R. Somebody with a deeper knowledge of how this all works can help.

Look at it this way, I have many times extracted aac out of mp4 files you know music videos from known sources.
Well with the right program & the right format (container) I am sure it can be done. What has to be done is to do what you would for creating a video clip. Where the “video-clip” being/consisting of my audio track created but with no video, say just a picture that I like. This should result in multiple tracks in several folders, each track is played back displaying only a picture/wallpaper/whatever.

This is what I am trying to achieve but how? Who can help me on this. What program should I use? What format? at what encoding speed? :bow::confused:

[QUOTE=orky87;2502227]Really! How do you mean it plays perfectly ? Are you talking about compatibility, or it’s ability to play a bunch of mp3’s files from DVD-R like it would from a CD-R?[/QUOTE]

I just burnt folders to the disc as a normal mp3 CD would have been, all tracks accessible with the folder up/down buttons.

Are you in the USA? If so are you sure of the model number? I went to Pioneer USA to look for that model’s manual and couldn’t find one.

Pioneer AVH P6500DVD this is the full name & model. This is quit an older model. http://www.nodevice.com/user_manual/pioneer/car_multimedia/avh-p6500dvd.html

[QUOTE=jubjubbird;2502379]I just burnt folders to the disc as a normal mp3 CD would have been, all tracks accessible with the folder up/down buttons.[/QUOTE]

My unit is outdated so. Newer models play DivX & have a bunch of other new features. What model Alpine have you got? I was looking at a Kenwood unit not long ago they produces good units at a reasonable price but their sound isn’t as good as Alpine & Pioneer.