Mp3 file Quality

It is generally known that a mp3 file with a lower bitrate will be of lesser quality than a file with a larger bitrate. That is ok. What i need to know is that if i have a file which sounds ok in a lower bitrate (say 96 kbps). If i convert this file into a larger bitrate (say 256 kbps) will the sound quality improve even little bit or will it make no difference as the data lost while the file was in a 96 kbps state will never be recovered by encoding the file into a larger bitrate

I dont thing the quality will change
it will just take up more space

:wink:

Originally posted by vishtaspa
or will it make no difference as the data lost while the file was in a 96 kbps state will never be recovered by encoding the file into a larger bitrate

The above is correct with the following addition: It will be even worse, because you are doing another extra conversion.

:smiley:

Originally posted by oaky_88
I dont thing the quality will change
it will just take up more space

In some cases the quality will even decrease as in the event of another conversion, additional artifacts may be created.

Encoding from Wave to MP3 means deleting certain sounds (frequencies) in order to decrease the filesize.

If you’d encode an mp3 to another mp3 with a higher bitrate, the quality may indeed get worse. There may have been generated some strange sounds during the first time encoding (especially at lower qualities) which can ruin the new mp3.

ps that is just 1 on of the reasons that can harm the qulity, there are more :wink:

same or less quallity and bigger file size…its pointless to change it.

try and find a better qulity version on morpheous.

www.musiccity.com

cheers

Morpheus limits mp3’s to 128kbps. If you want real quality and have cable or DSL find SHN format music files. Lossless .wav conversions are the way to go…

No it doesnt.

You go into the Registry and look for the string “Limit Bitrate” then cahnge it to 0

bingo…all the way up to 360kbs

Umm… Like I said, it does limit you to 128 out of the box. Registry hacks are nice.