Mp3 dvd burns often buggy - cyclic redundancy error?

I have burned several DVDs of mp3 albums, but frequently there are errors…when I try to copy an mp3 album back onto hard drive, i often get the error message “could not copy - cyclic redundancy error”. I have not had this problem with photo or other data discs, but I have burned many more mp3 disc than anything else. I have had this problem both with my previous 8x LG drive as well as my current 16x Lite-on 1633, and also with both Roxio Easy CD 6 and Nero 7. I have searched the internet and oddly have not found any other people with this same problem. Am I the only one burning DVDs full of mp3s, or what?

Often I can actually extract the “corrupt” files succesfully using ISO Buster, but that’s kind of annoying. (And shame on Windows for not being able to extract the data all by itself!)

Very frustrated, hopefully some of you might have some input. Thanks!

Hi :slight_smile:

Sounds like, for whatever reason, the drive just can’t read the disc.

From personal experience with that error, usually it means either the disc has something on it (dust etc), or the media isn’t the best.

Try downloading CDspeed and/or DVD Identifier, and get the media ID for the discs you have trouble with…and then maybe someone more informed than I will (hopefully) be able to tell you if it’s the media.

:slight_smile:

Certainly sounds very much like cheap media that’s the problem. Do as suggested & get/post the media ID please.

I have had the problem with both cheap “no-name” DVDs as well as Memorex and Maxell. Dirt is definitely not the problem, as I am using freshly opened discs, and I’m checking them immediatly after burning by copying the entire contents back to hard drive. Also, I’ve had identical problems when re-burning on a second DVD, eg. same files are unreadable on both attempts, even though the files are not corrupt on hard drive and work fine when burned to CD.

When I search for help with CRC or “cyclic redundancy check” issues here or elsewhere, virtually everyone suggests it’s a greasy grimey DVD that’s to blame. If only that were the case with me, then it would be explained at least! Alas.

I still believe it’s an issue relating to MP3 files on DVD media for some reason. Perhaps there are issues involved with ID3 tags adding confusion in the burning and/or re-reading process? Yes I am talking out my ass, this is only a hunch.

P.S. A related issue that seemed to be a problem with Roxio, but not Nero, is that sometimes files burned on a CD will appear to have 0KB of size, and are completely unreadable via Windows or ISO Buster. How extremely annoying that a burning software will triumphantly declare “burn completed successfully” when in fact large sections of the disc are unreadable. Hmmph. So far it seems that DVDs are extremely unreliable, as I’ve had stability problems with many different DVD media and at least three different burning software and as many burners.

Maybe no one else is burning DVD’s filled with mp3s? Noone else has this problem?

Whew, sorry for being long-winded there. Thanks for your help and patience.

I do it all the time - I have two sets of backup DVDs filled with mp3s (and yes, one produced the Cyclic Redundancy error - checked the Media ID, it was a Ritek G04 :Z )…but I should say to you - just because a DVD is branded with what you feel is a good name, doesn’t mean the actual disc is made by that company.

That’s where providing the media ID can come in handy, so you can REALLY see who made your discs :slight_smile:

I’m still betting on a media quality problem. The folks here are well up to speed on different manufacturers, so if you post the Media ID, someone will be able to advise you further.

So far you’ve got 2 votes for poor quality media so if you really want us to help please just do as we ask & post the media ID.

I also have burned mp3 DVDs on decent media & not experienced this problem. However, when I first started burning movies I was using media which I now learn was crap & I’d get CRCs all the time.

OK I hear you. I’ll try to identify the REAL media manufacturer. It might take me a couple days to get to it, but I will post when I find out.

I’ll also mention that it’s taking 42 minutes to burn a full disk, when I think it’s supposed to take around 8 minutes (8x media). Useful info? Maybe, maybe not.

Incidentally, any suggestions of seemingly reliable DVD media?

Thanks very much for all your help and feedback.

Hi, me again. Sorry, just realizing that I should probably investigate the apparently huge forum area about DVD media. So if you don’t feel like suggesting anything, that’s cool. Thanks again.

Do you have DMA on? If it’s set to “PIO”, set it to “DMA if available”.

Oh, and reliable media…you’ll find a lot of people (including myself) tend to use Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim media.

And yeah, believe me, the Blank Media section is a goldmine of useful info! Learnt a heck of a lot there myself in recent weeks. :slight_smile:

OK I tried DVD Identifier, and here is the media I’ve used most recently, with CPC issues:

Maxell DVD-R 8x

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:RITEKG05]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEKG05]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

** INFO : Drive = LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S [FW BS0S]
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+R-DL DVD+RW
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-R DVD-RW
** INFO : Disc = [DVD-R:RITEKG05]
** INFO : Reference Speed : 1x DVD = 1385 kBps
** INFO : An Writeable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
Descriptor #1 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 8310 kBps ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
** WARNING : MODE SENSE Is Obsolete And Not Always Properly Supported
Descriptor #1 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 8310 kBps ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

[ DVD Identifier V4.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

I think I have heard some complaints about the Ritek G05 media.

Here are some other discs I’ve used in the past, some of them also had CPC problems – again, I’ve only had CPC issues with MP3 DVDs, for whatever reason. Note: interesting that some discs that were sold as 8x only show up as 4x using DVD Identifier. Hmmmm.

Memorex DVD-R 8x

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:AN31]

Manufacturer Name : [Anwell Precision Technology]
Manufacturer ID : [AN31]

Descriptor #1 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

No-Name (disc that had many problems)

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:OPTODISCR004]

Manufacturer Name : [Optodisc Technology Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [OPTODISCR004]

Maxell DVD-R 4x

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MXL RG02]

Manufacturer Name : [Hitachi Maxell Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [MXL RG02]

Hmmm…Ritek G05 aren’t very highly thought of (as you noticed!), and I personally had a crapload of problems with G04s. Neither are Optodisc, or that could be my mind playing tricks on me. :smiley:

Can’t speak for the Maxells you used, as the ones I used in the past have all been made by Ritek (never again!). And as for Anwell Precision Technology - haven’t the faintest idea about them, sorry!

Sorry to say it, but I think the problem is more than likely media-related. If your wallet will allow, try some “better” discs like the brands mentioned above, and I’m pretty sure your quality problems will go away. :slight_smile:

Edit: Hopefully TimC or someone else will be along shortly to provide more input - thanks for posting the info :wink:

The G05’s usually burn OK but have a reputation for losing the data quite quickly.

The Memorex AN31 are absolute crap & the No Namers (Optdisc… ) I don’t think are any better. As for the other Maxells I don’t know but my guess would be that they ain’t good.

The LG & Liteon burners are quite good generally and with decent media will work fine.

Arachne suggests Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim, I won’t disagree with him on this. Verbs might be easier to find & the Liteon might do better with +R as historically they’ve favoured these. The Verb 16x +R are MCC004 media and pretty good.

:iagree: Agreed 100% there.

Arachne suggests Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim, I won’t disagree with him on this. Verbs might be easier to find & the Liteon might do better with +R as historically they’ve favoured these. The Verb 16x +R are MCC004 media and pretty good.

Her. LOL :bigsmile:

BTW, Raven, let us know what you decide to do, and how you get on!

I most humbly apologise. :o :o

No problem at all, apology accepted :bigsmile:

I usually stock up on -R media if only because the DVD player connected to my TV doesn’t play +R discs. Perhaps I’ll look for some of those Verbatim 16x +R discs, and I’ll just use up my -R supply on movie DVD copies. Price is not a major factor – I’ll pay what I must to ensure my data sticks around for a while. I hope Blu-ray or whatever becomes the next big thing is more sturdy and reliable than DVD is so far – 50 (or so) gigs is a LOT of data to lose if a disc craps out 6 months after burning!

Many thanks for all the very useful advice, I appreciate it.

You know that you can set the Book Type of a DVD+R to DVD-ROM which will probably let your DVD player read the disk?
There are utilities , available from Liteon & elsewhere, that will make the burner always set the +R book type to DVD-ROM. Here’s the like for Liteon
Also Nero, DVD Decrypter/ImgBurn etc will do it as well but just on a disk by disk basis. Roxio doesn’t seem to offer this facility though.

Hi, I have the exact same problem as you Raven. Did You say that you could extract the MP3 files using isobuster in tacked. I can’t, iTunes can’t read the files that isobuster says copied, but winxp refused to copy cos of ‘cyclic redunduncy check’.

Sorry, but could you tell me how to copy these doggy DVDrs using isobuster.

Thanks

Hey i just got Nero, and i am having problems getting the files to even write to the DVD. it is Memorex DVD+R, but i am not sure what all te specific details are. i have gone through 2x, and both times it has told me that the burn was complete and yet it never even touched the DVD. I am saving the images to a file on my hard drive, maybe this is my problem?

No, that wasnt it. i just checked.