MP3 Duration

I have several MP3s that are showing the incorrect duration within the “file properties” dialog box, within “media player”, and when burning them to CD they get cut to the incorrect duration.

For example.

Song “A” is 4 minutes long. When I play “A” through media player, it plays for 4 minutes. However, 2.34 minutes show on the duration in media player. When I burn the song, only 2.34 minutes burn.

I’ve tried veritas and roxio with the same results.

I’ve tried different music players, music match and get the same information on duration 2.34 but the song plays the full 4 minutes.

Running XP Pro.

Any ideas?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by wkbrad
[B]I have several MP3s that are showing the incorrect duration within the “file properties” dialog box, within “media player”, and when burning them to CD they get cut to the incorrect duration.

For example.

Song “A” is 4 minutes long. When I play “A” through media player, it plays for 4 minutes. However, 2.34 minutes show on the duration in media player. When I burn the song, only 2.34 minutes burn.

I’ve tried veritas and roxio with the same results.

I’ve tried different music players, music match and get the same information on duration 2.34 but the song plays the full 4 minutes.

Running XP Pro.

Any ideas?:confused: :confused: :confused: [/B]

Weird. Have you edited these mp3s in any way whatsoever? i.e., using a piece of software to merge multiple files into one mp3?

I remember several years back I used a software called Ordix MPack to merge my Pink Floyd mp3s into the order they were on different CDs, so that instead of making a playlist, I had one mp3 i could listen to when I wanted to listen to a particular disk. Might sound stupid, but it was a good idea at the time. Anyway, the MP3 would play all the way through like you say, however, when I burned it to CD, only the first song made it on the CD.

Based on my experience, I’m guessing that your mp3s have been edited in some way or maybe they’re corrupted?

I have not edited at all.

This is not a small scale issue. I probably have hundreds of songs this is happening with.

Have these mp3 files been encoded with variable bandwidth? If there is no fürther information about it in the header or in the tag area of the file, no decoder/player can say exactly how long the track eventually is.

I have found the solution!!!

Apparently some mp3’s headers become corrupt, especially those that are VBR. This causes, among many other things, incorrect reporting of duration or length to players and recorders.

There is a program called VBRfix that’s out there. The site was down and I found it @ alt.binaries.sounds.utilities.

It has solved my problem.

Thanks to all for taking a look.