MP3 download site MP3Skull convicted to pay $22.2 million in damages to the RIAA

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: MP3 download site MP3Skull convicted to pay $22.2 million in damages to the RIAA[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/02/myce-mp3-skull-screenshot-95x75.gif[/newsimage]

The administrators of the MP3 download site MP3Skull are convicted to pay $22.2 million in damages to record labels. The record labels, united in the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), also received permission from a judge to seize the domains used by MP3Skull.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/mp3-download-site-mp3skull-convicted-to-pay-22-2-million-in-damages-to-the-riaa-78702/](http://www.myce.com/news/mp3-download-site-mp3skull-convicted-to-pay-22-2-million-in-damages-to-the-riaa-78702/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Like the RIAA will ever see a penny of this…

Trouble is that these fines does not take into account the sales gained… Using myself as an example… I do not see myself as a pirate even though I have to admit I do use trackers as my record store these days. The reason is simple, back in the '80s I did hang out in record stores at least 16 hours a week listening to non-mainstream music. Those 16 hours I do not have the luxury of anymore, besides the record stores are fewer and far between these days. So, to be able to park my car beside the music highway and walk up music mountain with my torch to find diamonds and gold where others have only found rocks before me, I simply have to…
When a diamond or a gold nugget is found, it will be bought as I would like to do my share participating and hoping for a follow up or a new release to be put out. Personally I do not find myself very unique in this setting, others may. Still, it does not change the fact that without my possibillities, I would stop buying music just like my comparables did 20 years ago…

Once again, American copyright trolls have gone out of their way to attack foreigners. What’s even more shocking is the fact that the Recording Industry A-holes of America haven’t even bothered to find out who they are suing. That said, of course MP3Skull lost: they weren’t able to defend themselves in court, leaving the court with the task of coming to a decision based on a one-sided argument.

What’s even funnier this case stops nothing - the torrents continue to keep growing and spreading with no stopping in sight.

I didn’t realize pirating music via torrents was still a thing . . . thought it died when OiNK did.

[QUOTE=justcallmebob;2769807]I didn’t realize pirating music via torrents was still a thing . . . thought it died when OiNK did.[/QUOTE]
Living the past napster lives aren’t we. Torrents have always been there to say otherwise is small world views.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2769826]Living the past napster lives aren’t we. Torrents have always been there to say otherwise is small world views.[/QUOTE]
Small world views? Maybe I just figured folks who were big into it back in the day had moved on to using something else.

Or could afford to buy music now.

[QUOTE=justcallmebob;2769830]Small world views? Maybe I just figured folks who were big into it back in the day had moved on to using something else.

Or could afford to buy music now.[/QUOTE]
Really when did good music finally come out? Another rosy world view. You can tow the DMCA propaganda all day long and people will continue to move on.

[QUOTE=justcallmebob;2769807]I didn’t realize pirating music via torrents was still a thing . . . thought it died when OiNK did.[/QUOTE]

The death of OiNK spawned two other trackers (at least) which are music only (or music oriented). In other words, the managed to “double OiNK (or should I say ‘ouch’)” by closing it.
I am reasoning this on the fact that everyone who could prove to be a former OiNK user was offered membership on both sites solely on previous OiNK membership. That is the facts :flower:

Sometime in the future trackers will become a thing of the past, but not until a worthy successor is in place and even then, they will continue to live side by side for an extended amount of time. We see this today as well as there are still music/movie/program FTP sites out there and they have been more or less a thing of the past for the last ten years at least. Heck, even Use net/News still exist albeit a lot lesser used these days.

There are many ways to use a tracker and it is not always with a morally ill intent as I write in my previous post and yes, most young people originally on OiNK probably have become grown-ups and buy the music they like.
It is only part of the fact though, and you miss the point that there were lots of mature users registered as well, people who today are 50-70+ years old. These users could afford to buy their music even when OiNK was the place to be, and they did. They still benefited greatly from other users to break into new musical genres and styles.

Torrent sites are communities too you know, just like club.myce.com, albeit a little more hidden from the general public, they are not hard to find :disagree:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2769846]The death of OiNK spawned two other trackers (at least) which are music only (or music oriented). In other words, the managed to “double OiNK (or should I say ‘ouch’)” by closing it.
I am reasoning this on the fact that everyone who could prove to be a former OiNK user was offered membership on both sites solely on previous OiNK membership. That is the facts :flower:

Sometime in the future trackers will become a thing of the past, but not until a worthy successor is in place and even then, they will continue to live side by side for an extended amount of time. We see this today as well as there are still music/movie/program FTP sites out there and they have been more or less a thing of the past for the last ten years at least. Heck, even Use net/News still exist albeit a lot lesser used these days.

There are many ways to use a tracker and it is not always with a morally ill intent as I write in my previous post and yes, most young people originally on OiNK probably have become grown-ups and buy the music they like.
It is only part of the fact though, and you miss the point that there were lots of mature users registered as well, people who today are 50-70+ years old. These users could afford to buy their music even when OiNK was the place to be, and they did. They still benefited greatly from other users to break into new musical genres and styles.

Torrent sites are communities too you know, just like club.myce.com, albeit a little more hidden from the general public, they are not hard to find :disagree:[/QUOTE]
Fair enough. I definitely benefited from my OiNK membership and ended up buying music I wouldn’t have otherwise.

At 44 I guess I’m just not as in to torrents as I was 10 years ago.

[emoji6]

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2769840]Really when did good music finally come out? Another rosy world view. You can tow the DMCA propaganda all day long and people will continue to move on.[/QUOTE]
Dude. Good music is available all around you. That’s the cool thing about it. You get to choose what you want to listen to.

If you can’t find it you aren’t looking.

DMCA propaganda? Where?

[QUOTE=justcallmebob;2769850]Fair enough. I definitely benefited from my OiNK membership and ended up buying music I wouldn’t have otherwise.[/QUOTE]
… and how many downloads do you still have that you have not bought? None? Only the few you can not buy due to not being available? Exactly my point!

[QUOTE=justcallmebob;2769850]At 44 I guess I’m just not as in to torrents as I was 10 years ago.

[emoji6][/QUOTE]
You just made the mistake of assuming it was over way back in October 2007, but many of the other 180.000+ members of OiNK were assuming there had to be an alternative… which was presented soon thereafter :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2769854]… and how many downloads do you still have that you have not bought? None? Only the few you can not buy due to not being available? Exactly my point!

You just made the mistake of assuming it was over way back in October 2007, but many of the other 180.000+ members of OiNK were assuming there had to be an alternative… which was presented soon thereafter :bigsmile:

[/QUOTE]
I doubt I deleted anything or lost a download.

I knew it wasn’t over . . . I guess I was just no longer interested.

I’ll survive without it.

[QUOTE=justcallmebob;2769860]I doubt I deleted anything or lost a download.

I knew it wasn’t over . . . I guess I was just no longer interested.

I’ll survive without it.[/QUOTE]

Then we are different. I have so far exactly 13 downloads I have not bought for more than one listening session. Either they are completely unavailable or offered for more than €1000 which is what I call ‘out of reach for my wallet’.

Edit:
Then there are 15 more which is on the buy-in list. What I bought stays as I can not be bothered to rip it myself unless I have to :wink:

[QUOTE=justcallmebob;2769851]Dude. Good music is available all around you. That’s the cool thing about it. You get to choose what you want to listen to.

If you can’t find it you aren’t looking.

DMCA propaganda? Where?[/QUOTE]
Really like what the Studio want us to listen to? Trust me the good one are long past. More Troll…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2769868]Really like what the Studio want us to listen to? Trust me the good one are long past. More Troll…[/QUOTE]

Holy crap.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2769868]Really like what the Studio want us to listen to? Trust me the good one are long past. More Troll…[/QUOTE]

Just like for movies really, the more experienced you get, the more it will take to impress you, which is why I say I parked my car by the music highway a long time ago. These days I am way up in music mountain with my torch - There are good music released in various genres even today - more often than not on small labels (not knowing your musical preference of course) - we just have to keep searching :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2769862]Then we are different. I have so far exactly 13 downloads I have not bought for more than one listening session. Either they are completely unavailable or offered for more than €1000 which is what I call ‘out of reach for my wallet’.

Edit:
Then there are 15 more which is on the buy-in list. What I bought stays as I can not be bothered to rip it myself unless I have to ;)[/QUOTE]

Speaking of ripping music . . . I need to grab a copy of EAC and rip a few of my old school Van Halen CDs again. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=justcallmebob;2769879]Speaking of ripping music . . . I need to grab a copy of EAC and rip a few of my old school Van Halen CDs again. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Depends on if you’re talking about the period before 5150 or not for me - I can enjoy the period after too, just not as much as the one leading up to it :wink:

Edit … fwiw, strange as it may sound, Van Halen and MSG (Michael Schenker Group) were tangled in my younger years and I lost them both at the same time. The latter of course due to Michael Schenker’s drug abuse :slight_smile: