Mp3 constant vs. variable bitrate

Hi,
I was editing some audio fragments in Audacity. There are several exporting options (var./const./avarage bitrate etc.). My question is, which one should I chose? The original file has a bitrate 191-192, so almost a constant bitrate. Is there any benefit when chosing variable bitrate? Thank you.

Daan

When you work on lossy compression algorithms, the best option is to leave everything as is. Every modification done on an audio file compressed with lossy compression algorithms will degrade the quality.

So, the best option (if available) is the direct stream copy, so the entire file will be kept unchanged and then with no further quality loss :slight_smile:

I’m not really expert in audacity, but if you need to trim some mp3 files, maybe the best option is a software like mp3 directcut that can cut a mp3 file without re-encoding it, i.e. no quality loss on the saved file :slight_smile:

Yes, but I think that will only work for cutting/pasting. I think, encoding is needed when doing things like fading, removing treble etc.

You can use a program called EncSpot to look at the .mp3’s you have.
It will show a graph of the bitrate & have other useful information.
But basically you can’t add to the quality if it’s already gone.
Depending on the type files you start with in Audacity.I prefer .wav.Then also export as a .wav.Then use DBpowerAmp for the conversion to .mp3 with the settings you prefer.
If you started with .mp3 files then stay with those when exporting from Audacity.
I don’t have it now but I’m going to check out mp3 directcut posted by geno888

[QUOTE=daan_odi_;2306786]Yes, but I think that will only work for cutting/pasting. I think, encoding is needed when doing things like fading, removing treble etc.[/QUOTE]

According to the website, Mp3DirectCut is able also to create Fade effects :slight_smile: