MP3 CD's won't play

Hi, I have a problem that is driving me nuts. I recently purchased a Kenwood KDC-MPV5025 CD/MP3/WMA Receiver for my car. I mostly wanted it for the mp3 feature.

Anyhow I’ve attempted to burn several mp3 cd’s, but I keep having the same problem.

When I put the cd’s in the receiver it just flashes “reading disk” for about 5 seconds then it starts to play a track, but it just shows one track thats listed as “track 1” and it’s one giant track, and nothing is coming out of the speakers. I even tried the cd’s in a friends receiver that also plays mp3’s and I get the same problem, so I’m resonably sure it has to do with the way I’m burning them.

I’ve followed the rules in the manual that suggest I should use the disk at once feature and to disable additional writing. I’ve made sure it’s ISO 9660 I’ve attempted to make cd’s with folders and have also just tried throwing a few mp3’s on a cd with no folders yet I still have the same problem. I’ve used Nero 5.5, 6.6, and an older version of EZ CD creator that is on another computer (I’ve tried burning on two different computers). I’ve even tried completely different mp3’s and I still get this problem. I’ve used three different kinds of media to burn onto as well. I’ve played non-mp3 burnt cd’s on the receiver without any issues.

The primary burner I’m using is a Samsung sw-216b which I’ve had no problems with. I can’t really think of any other details I can offer.

Any suggestions please? Thanks in advance!

well, i don’t know where thing are going wrong. but here is how i create an MP3 CD that has never failed to play on MP3 capeable devices. launch nero express/data-data disc/add MP3 files using the ADD button/next/uncheck the mulit-session option/burn.

Assuming you are in fact making an ISO 9660 disc with no multisession, I don’t know why it’s not working. Does this Kenwood device come with any test disc or anything? There has been no confirmation yet that it is not defective.

Do you have RockRidge or Joliet enabled? These are extensions that permit longer file names. It could be that they are incompatible with your players.

I have made lots of playable MP3 CDs and played them in my two DVD players as well as a portable CD player that I have that is MP3 compatible. I could make an image of one that you could burn as an experiment if you can’t get this to work.

I use Nero (advanced mode), make an ISO9660 CD with Joliet enabled, and put the files on the CD. Putting albums or related songs together in individual folders makes navigating the music easier on some players, but it doesn’t affect whether the CD plays or not.

I have Joliet enabled but according to my manual it should work fine (manual can be found here if you want to take a peek http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Manuals\113\113MP425.PDF). I guess I’ll take it to a Kenwood dealership and see what they say, thanks for the tips.

No test disc came with it.

Jim: I’m willing to try the image thing, but I’m not sure how much that could help me.

Thanks for all the tips.

edit: the one thing I can think of is the manual says the mp3’s should have a bit rate of 320 kbps, and they are lower than that, but I wouldn’t think that would keep it from not working, would it?

“I even tried the cd’s in a friends receiver that also plays mp3’s and I get the same problem” - better take back their unit too ay ? :slight_smile:

say, you have tried the MP3 CDs in other devices ? results ?

How many MP3’s are on the CD (in terms of size)?

I’d also suggest burning at slow speeds, and using good quality media.

My MP3 player is quite picky but i manage to get good results with it by burning the discs to about the 640mb mark (assuming you are using 700mb CDs).

It seems to me that your MP3 player is reading the disc as an audio disc so it is trying to play the one data track on there (the one with all your mp3’s on it).

Also as Ghosters suggested try it in a couple of other players.

Good Luck

Word,

I have the same problem with my Kenwood V707 car stereo and it’s also driving me nuts. The thing with mine is that it used to work fine and I didn’t have to do anything special when I burn my MP3’s then all of sudden I get the same problem as you have described. Did you fix your’s yet? Really looking for the solution on this. My old MP3’s work and but any new ones I burn won’t work and can’t seem to figure what the difference between the old and new MP3’s.

Thanks.

I have the same EXACT issue with my Kenwood KDC-MPV5025!!

Anyone have any success fixing this or response from the vendor/manufacturer? please help…

Hey Guys,

Just press the RESET button on the face plate.

Simple, Hey.

700mb CD-R, ISO9660 FS, burnspeed 16x max, DAO, good media.
That and using an up-to-date burner & software should do the trick.

I have to same problem from time to time. I made a lot of coaster cds. I think I bought memorex cds and everthing was fine

[QUOTE=t3chn0n3rd;1949876]I have to same problem from time to time. I made a lot of coaster cds. I think I bought memorex cds and everthing was fine[/QUOTE]

I would assume the opposite.
Avoid Memorex and go with TY and Verbatim.

You may want to consider what bitrate the mp3s are as well. When they first started with mp3 stereos some players would not play VBR mp3s or anything above 128 kb. I experienced this with Panasonic stereos primarily though.

I’ve always used EAC with lame for my mp3 disk. Never had a problem so far. It is free and one of the best imo.

[quote=w0rd2that;753423]Hi, I have a problem that is driving me nuts. I recently purchased a Kenwood KDC-MPV5025 CD/MP3/WMA Receiver for my car. I mostly wanted it for the mp3 feature.

Anyhow I’ve attempted to burn several mp3 cd’s, but I keep having the same problem.

When I put the cd’s in the receiver it just flashes “reading disk” for about 5 seconds then it starts to play a track, but it just shows one track thats listed as “track 1” and it’s one giant track, and nothing is coming out of the speakers. I even tried the cd’s in a friends receiver that also plays mp3’s and I get the same problem, so I’m resonably sure it has to do with the way I’m burning them.

![/quote]

This is where people get confused when burning Audio MP3 (considered data) or failed to check if they are are burning with Disc At Once (DAO) or Track At Once (TAO)

If burning audio using TAO a 2 second gap between tracks is inserted thus the player can recognise a pause then read the next file. While using DAO, it was burned without a gap so the player reads it as a single file. I bet this is what happens.

Try burning using TAO using Nero-Audio Jukebox CD and see if still reading as a single track.

I will eat humble pie if I am wrong.