Mp3 Bitrate

ok let me start out by saying i am new to this forum and am currently haveing trouble finding the answer to my question. i have a Ipod and a Zune and i can use either software to rip cds (have to rip over 300 CDs) to my computer but i not quite sure what bit rate to use or to even use the Ipod, Zune software to rip or something else that might be better (Freeware) to use for this

The reason why the bitrate is important to me right now is cause i use both ipod and zune to play music on my home theater system and don’t know what is over kill as far as bitrate 192, 256 or 320 cause would i even notice the difference between 256 and 320 or even 192?

Once you go over 192 bitrate the differences start to diminish and start to become harder to pick out from the original.

:cool: :cool:

I would agree with the 192 cut-off for listening quality.

Just one thing may be useful to remember…if you ever need to convert back to WAV, to make a regular CD again, you could benefit from the higher bit-rates. Just depends on how much space you have for the MP3s. A 256kbps track is gonna fill double the space of the same track at 128.

I use 192 for my iPod, and have tried quite a few different bitrates - couldn’t really hear much difference between them in “field tests” (i.e. me walking around listening to songs)

However - I only use Mp3 for my iPod, where sound quality isn’t the biggest issue as you can always hear background noise.

If you’re using it on your home theatre I’d suggest trying 192 vs 256 for the same song - and seeing how it sounds.

I have read alot since the last time i posted and i have decided on 192 after reading and testing for about 2hrs via my home theater and other people telling what they thought about the sound differences on my system between 192, 256 and 320 any only 1 out of 10 people said they could hear a difference between 192 and 320 but i think he was just trying to be different more than telling the truth

[QUOTE=mongor64;1915887]I have read alot since the last time i posted and i have decided on 192 after reading and testing for about 2hrs via my home theater and other people telling what they thought about the sound differences on my system between 192, 256 and 320 any only 1 out of 10 people said they could hear a difference between 192 and 320 but i think he was just trying to be different more than telling the truth[/QUOTE]

Some people do have much more sensitive ears than others - it can also depend on training if you work in the audio area.
Personally I can’t hear any difference :bigsmile:

Testing is definitely the best way to find what works for you.