Mozilla invests in German privacy protecting browser and search engine developer Cliqz

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Mozilla invests in German privacy protecting browser and search engine developer Cliqz[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/08/myce-cliqz-homepage-image-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Mozilla today announced it has invested in the developer of privacy browser Cliqz. Currently Cliqz is mainly targeted at Germany and Mozilla should help expand it to other countries. Both parties have not disclosed the size of the ‘strategic investment’.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/mozilla-invests-german-privacy-protecting-browser-search-engine-developer-cliqz-80274/](http://www.myce.com/news/mozilla-invests-german-privacy-protecting-browser-search-engine-developer-cliqz-80274/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Cant Microsoft deny them a certificate to install the browser if they wanted?
I am not sure about this but I do know of programs that were denied install rights.

That could be done, still as long as that would mean only M$ enforcing it, there will always be ways around it, just like MS can’t deny me install rights of their own ForeFront in the Aniversary update no matter how much they wish and uninstall it. While I may seemingly be an isolated case, there are so many scripts and mitigations against Microsoft’s restrictions around by now, I will not leave them much chance of succeeding should they try.

Some of them will of course be against the EULA, but that is hardly the point as they work… All the way to entirely mute Microsoft’s new found ways to interfere with user freedom.

The search engine from Cliqz is improved by using user data. It uses a search algorithm that weighs data about people’s behavior on the web instead of a technical analysis of websites. The company guarantees collected data is anonymized and offers the option to opt-out.
Personally, I don’t find that very comforting. Google has claimed to do similar things with the data it collects. They have an opt-out, which of course gets wiped whenever you wipe your cookies (something everyone who values his/her privacy should do), you have to opt-out again. When you forget to opt-out, Google will systematically collect as much data as they can. On top of which, you are technically only opting-out of personalized ads, not the surveillance behind those ads. Also, Google claims to do all kinds of magic to “protect” the data they collect from you. IDK if they’ve ever claimed to anonymize the data, but if they did, it would be a false claim.

I’ll be sticking with StartPage.com, a search engine that claims not to collect anything about anyone, not even their IP address. That, in a nutshell, is the best way to make sure third parties play nice with what they collect from you: not letting them collect anything in the first place. (FYI, StartPage.com obtains it’s results from Google, so if you want Google’s results without Google’s spying, StartPage.com is a good way to go.)