Mozilla has started to show advertisements in the Firefox browser

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Mozilla has started to show advertisements in the Firefox browser[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/11/myce-firefox-tiles-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Mozilla has started to show advertisements in the Firefox browser.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/mozilla-has-started-to-show-advertisements-in-the-firefox-browser-73480](http://www.myce.com/news/mozilla-has-started-to-show-advertisements-in-the-firefox-browser-73480)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Yes, this will turn out well, absolutely.

From PCworld

"Even so, not everyone wants to see them. And continuing in Mozilla’s pro-choice, pro-privacy tradition, Firefox makes it easy to disable the New Tab page ads.

Just open a new tab, then click the gear cog in the upper right-hand corner of the page. Three options appear in a drop-down menu: Enhanced, Classic, and Blank. The new ads will only appear if you’re using the Enhanced option, which is enabled by default.

firefoxclassic
Selecting Classic will force the New Tab page to only display sites from your browsing history, while Blank is, well, a blank page. No aggregate data is collected once you disable the Enhanced tiles, either.

And that’s it! Once you make that one, simple change, ads are gone forever from Firefox’s New Tab page. But consider what you’re doing before you flip the switch—Mozilla needs money to continue developing Firefox and fighting for the future of the open web, and the ads truly aren’t much of an eyesore."

Makes you want to go through archived junk looking for an old copy of Netscape!
Almost miss the days of surfing the net with Telix and a 2400 baud modem.
Still using Firefox 6.something with appropriate privacy plug-ins and have no trouble with extra adds or security issues.

I wonder if the ad’s are still running in the background even while it’s turned off.

Netscape! 😂

Oh my, the old good times. I want it back!

If you don’t mind stopping the FireFox update madness at v.28.0, Michael Walden’s “Foxscape” theme for versions up though 28.0 brings back the simple elegance of Netscape 4.x. Sadly, like many other FireFox developers, Walden got sick of the unrelenting “updates” and refused to develop his Foxscape theme any further. If you’re really nostalgic for the look of Navigator, try it. You’ll like it.

[QUOTE=SexyTec14;2740952]I wonder if the ad’s are still running in the background even while it’s turned off.[/QUOTE]

I doubt the Mozilla corporation would be stupid enough to have the ads running in the background against the desire of the user. Firefox is free/open source software, so naturally users would be quick to remove that function from the source code if it couldn’t be turned off any other way. These users would probably release their modded version for the benefit of those who can’t make their own changes.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2740967]I doubt the Mozilla corporation would be stupid enough to have the ads running in the background against the desire of the user. Firefox is free/open source software, so naturally users would be quick to remove that function from the source code if it couldn’t be turned off any other way. These users would probably release their modded version for the benefit of those who can’t make their own changes.[/QUOTE]

Great point. :smiley:

Too right, open source = no place to hide

@Jan Willem

Are you primarily a Mac OS X user?

@Freq, no this is a screenshot from the Mozilla site. I’m on Windows 8.1 (and never owned any Apple product)