Mozilla: Firefox 7 uses less memory, is quicker & developer-friendly

vbimport

Mozilla: Firefox 7 uses less memory, is quicker & developer-friendly.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/09/NOv6jk.jpg[/newsimage]Mozilla released Firefox 7 this week, and wasted no time touting its improvements. According to the company, behind-the-scenes tweaks to its latest web browser will help developers craft quick-loading, HTML5-based content. Users should experience overall speedier web browsing thanks to a drastic reduction in memory usage.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/mozilla-firefox-7-uses-less-memory-is-quicker-developer-friendly-52487/](http://www.myce.com/news/mozilla-firefox-7-uses-less-memory-is-quicker-developer-friendly-52487/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

These guys are breaking ad-on support faster than the developers can fix them. I’ve lost track of how many ad-ons have been lost in the past six months.

[QUOTE=CDan;2605736]These guys are breaking ad-on support faster than the developers can fix them. I’ve lost track of how many ad-ons have been lost in the past six months.[/QUOTE]

I’m with you - most of my add-ons have been disabled or the add-ons are just no longer being updated… Why so many major updates, lately? Can’t they have made most of these changes as updates to the “current” version? Shoot, if I remember correctly, we’ve gone through 4 !?! version numbers just this year alone.

They’re trying to compete with Chrome’s 13 new versions per year.

[QUOTE=ilnot1;2605767]They’re trying to compete with Chrome’s 13 new versions per year.[/QUOTE]

Same thought here, as it just seems like a week or two ago that Firefox reached version 6.

They probably assume that by being a lower version # than a competitor means that people could see this lower version number as lacking features. :doh: I only just noticed that Chrome is already on version 14 and it wasn’t that long ago that Chrome first launched!

Same here some plugin work and some not and I do hope they address the freezing on my desktop as well. It goes like this the same version on my laptop works fine but on my desktop flipping back in tab or doing something else on FF6 the computer just freezes completely and no option or even chance to do a error reporting. I then have to complete force restart my computer and rerun FF which opens all my previous tabs that was there during when I was forced to restart. This never happened in FF5 but FF6 was just a cluster*(&(&(&^( on my desktop but for my laptop with all same plugins some disabled and some not it never froze on my laptop. Did anyone experience this problem as well? Work on Laptops but freezes on Desktop???

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2605794]Did anyone experience this problem as well? Work on Laptops but freezes on Desktop???[/QUOTE]

While I haven’t had Firefox totally freeze to the point of requiring a reboot, I did notice in recent versions (which could go back to 5) where page navigation would often grind to a near halt on my Desktop. A workaround I’m using is by disabling Hardware Acceleration and so far this issue hasn’t reoccurred for me. This article shows how to disable Direct2D Hardware Acceleration in Firefox.

On the other hand, this hardware acceleration issue also occurs in Mozilla Thunderbird and so far I haven’t found a way to disable it in that application. While it doesn’t have much CPU usage, it hogs my graphics card to the point where I cannot watch video unless I close out of Thunderbird.

[QUOTE=Seán;2605806]While I haven’t had Firefox totally freeze to the point of requiring a reboot, I did notice in recent versions (which could go back to 5) where page navigation would often grind to a near halt on my Desktop. A workaround I’m using is by disabling Hardware Acceleration and so far this issue hasn’t reoccurred for me. This article shows how to disable Direct2D Hardware Acceleration in Firefox.

On the other hand, this hardware acceleration issue also occurs in Mozilla Thunderbird and so far I haven’t found a way to disable it in that application. While it doesn’t have much CPU usage, it hogs my graphics card to the point where I cannot watch video unless I close out of Thunderbird.[/QUOTE]

Ok I will give that a try on FF7 and see what happens but it just )(&*)( when your doing something and just grinds to halt without warning. FF5 was the last stable version that didn’t do that it started to happen after going to FF6. I don’t recall if hardware acceleration was on or off though. Maybe someone with FF5 on default settings could info me if there was checked for hardware acceleration or not?

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2605794] Did anyone experience this problem as well? Work on Laptops but freezes on Desktop???[/QUOTE]I have the opposite, FF6 on the desktop is fine (on 7 now) but on the laptop it’s disgraceful it is freezing up all the time. Even after a fresh winblows install with no extensions or themes.

I’ve changed all the .rdf’s (and inside .xpi renamed to .zip and saved back again) to max version 99.* and voila! No more non-working addons after each update. Most work just fine too.

FF 7.0.1 is out. Perhaps this fixes some of the issues.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2605865]FF 7.0.1 is out. Perhaps this fixes some of the issues.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I am very dubious right now with all the bad freezes from FF6 on desktop and now I think since FF7 install I had a freeze as well…

No problems with FF here on 3 different computers. Perhaps my browsing habits and extension selection is different, and this matters.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2605942]No problems with FF here on 3 different computers. Perhaps my browsing habits and extension selection is different, and this matters.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Cripes, 17MB for the 7.0.1 update download. It better be gooder.

My unscientific check right after updating from 6.0.2 to 7.0.1 is that it appears to be using significantly less RAM. (based on WinXP task manager). Maybe 1/2 as much.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2605942]No problems with FF here on 3 different computers. Perhaps my browsing habits and extension selection is different, and this matters.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Since I unchecked hardware acceleration my freezing of the computer has stopped. I will use it more to see what and if it will happen again.

Hi :slight_smile:
Why not use FF9.0a2 (Aurora)?

FF7 is dead already…:rolleyes:

Firefox keeps working well for me. Both on my PC and my laptop. The extensions keep breaking because they have a max version set, not because they can’t work. If the people who make the extensions won’t bother updating, you can manually add them.

it is a pain to that though. too bad there’s not an override option in firefox to allow them to run.

[QUOTE=Zod;2606071]
it is a pain to that though. too bad there’s not an override option in firefox to allow them to run.[/QUOTE]

I think this has more to do with security holes that a plugin would create for malware or botnet to punch through and make your computer into a zombie network.

[QUOTE=zebadee;2605989]Hi :slight_smile:
Why not use FF9.0a2 (Aurora)?

FF7 is dead already…:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I figure as much…for me that is FF7 hit the fan…but I download FF9 and give it a shot…hopefully alpha doesn’t mean disaster for me.

Well FF9 does run way quicker and faster loads I turn hardware acceleration back on to see what happens and so far it has locked or freeze on me. It did disable some of my plugins but I hope they will update those to run on Aurora.