Mozilla finally releases 64-bit Firefox, fixes 21 vulnerabilities in Firefox 43

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Mozilla finally releases 64-bit Firefox, fixes 21 vulnerabilities in Firefox 43[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2012/02/FirefoxLogo.jpg[/newsimage]

After a long beta phase, Mozilla today finally released the 64-bit version of its Firefox browser for Windows. At the same time the developer also released 21 patches for vulnerabilities in the browser.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/mozilla-finally-releases-64-bit-firefox-fixes-21-vulnerabilities-in-firefox-43-78096/](http://www.myce.com/news/mozilla-finally-releases-64-bit-firefox-fixes-21-vulnerabilities-in-firefox-43-78096/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Problem here is if you have FF 64bit installed …
… and you do the auto update it will install the 32bit version of FF43 hence you will have 2 FF installations (old 64/new 32) - this happened to me. If you have more than 1 user account on your machine the FF links, in those accounts, will be all dead.

The tip here is to uninstall old FF64 first, download the 64bit file, install and all will be fine.

Thanks for that info Millennium12 Good to know

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2765068]Problem here is if you have FF 64bit installed …
… and you do the auto update it will install the 32bit version of FF43 hence you will have 2 FF installations (old 64/new 32) - this happened to me. If you have more than 1 user account on your machine the FF links, in those accounts, will be all dead.

The tip here is to uninstall old FF64 first, download the 64bit file, install and all will be fine.[/QUOTE]
Bad part is I stopped using FF64 since firefox-3.6.3.en-US.win64-x86_64. But If one downloads they are the same without any size I found that out. So is it really a 64 version? If so can someone post a General screen of 32 vs 64 with menu bar to show the difference?

Yes, there is [B]no[/B] visual difference/indication (for 64bit) other than the User Agent string and the install dir, 64bit is in Program Files while 32bit is in Progam Files (86), as Mozilla still did not manage to add the little 64bit thingy to the About page (sigh).

The task manager shows a firefox *32 process if it is the x86 version

Even the Firefox.exe (391KB) is no longer an indicator as it is merely the browser’s starter file.

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2765104]Yes, there is [B]no[/B] visual difference/indication (for 64bit) other than the User Agent string and the install dir, 64bit is in Program Files while 32bit is in Progam Files (86), as Mozilla still did not manage to add the little 64bit thingy to the About page (sigh).

The task manager shows a firefox *32 process if it is the x86 version

Even the Firefox.exe (391KB) is no longer an indicator as it is merely the browser’s starter file.[/QUOTE]
Does it get it’s own ICON?

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2765110]Does it get it’s own ICON?[/QUOTE]

I don’t think Mozilla is creative enuf to get this bright idea :clap:

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2765112]I don’t think Mozilla is creative enuf to get this bright idea :clap:[/QUOTE]
What a dragg…

Installed both version onto my Desktop but had to rename each ICON one x86 the other x64 so they would function and not run the wrong Browser but I did loose functions with Adobe Acrobat addon. What a dragg-have to wait for update Adobe to reinstall and hopefully get that function back.

Most users will want Flash Player on their system. As much as I hate Flash, their will still be users who will need it for various websites, at least until those sites switch to HTML5. Also, Netflix users will want to have a working Silverlight installation. If x64 Firefox doesn’t work with these two plugins, it’s value will be greatly diminished.

As for everyone else running x64 versions of Windows, this new version should provide for a slightly faster web experience.

PS: I could be wrong, but I think that versions of Firefox for GNU/Linux need to be compiled for whatever processor they will be running on. Therefore, x64 users can expect x64 versions of Firefox to already be installed, although one could theoretically run x32 versions if they have x32 wrappers. If I’m right, us x64 GNU/Linux users have been running x64 Firefox for years.

I downloaded loaded both version and it was a total mess. It doesn’t have it’s own Windows when opened both at the same time it uses the same Broswer causing more confusion. So after that trial I download x64 and x86 but installed only x86. Until they get their act together and make separate install that make separate Broswer that keeps data separate from each other I will not install x64 FireFox. Have enough problems with just x86 version don’t need more problems with x64.