Mozilla ends surfing behavior based ‘Suggested Tiles’ advertisements

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Mozilla ends surfing behavior based ‘Suggested Tiles’ advertisements[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/12/Screen-Shot-2015-09-10-at-10.10.46-AM-600x275-1-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Mozilla has announced it will no longer show advertisements on the Firefox Tiles page, a feature the browser developer introduced several months ago. The company planned to show advertisements as ‘Suggested Tiles’ in the Tiles page. The advertisements were based on the surfing behavior of the user to make them more relevant.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/mozilla-ends-surfing-behavior-based-suggested-tiles-advertisements-78029/](http://www.myce.com/news/mozilla-ends-surfing-behavior-based-suggested-tiles-advertisements-78029/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2764559]We’ve just posted the following news: Mozilla ends surfing behavior based ‘Suggested Tiles’ advertisements[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/12/Screen-Shot-2015-09-10-at-10.10.46-AM-600x275-1-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/mozilla-ends-surfing-behavior-based-suggested-tiles-advertisements-78029/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.[/QUOTE]

Reall, I notice nothing like that when I use my PC hosts files. All those adware sites and popups are gone and I don’t have to worry which Browser I use. IE, FF, Chrome, Opera…this stops them dead in their tracks…

Good, I am at about:blank on most machines apart from this which opens at this forum.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2764562]Reall, I notice nothing like that when I use my PC hosts files. All those adware sites and popups are gone and I don’t have to worry which Browser I use. IE, FF, Chrome, Opera…this stops them dead in their tracks…[/QUOTE]

I’ll verify that… It works. For my use, I do not notice any negative effects at all. I’ll add the link to the thread

[QUOTE=Xercus;2764564]Good, I am at about:blank on most machines apart from this which opens at this forum.[/QUOTE]That what the hosts file I use does if it tries to open a redirect page it comes up blank-this allows you to stop it and close it before it hogs your system resources. If this is what your getting.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2764564]I’ll verify that… It works. For my use, I do not notice any negative effects at all. I’ll add the link to the thread
http://club.myce.com/f3/hosts-file-339210/index2.html[/QUOTE]I know it works but alot of others still want to use the adblocker program type -not realizing that this simple for savvy user and little tricky for others will do alot to help your internet surf better and give you control of your bandwidth without all the glitz and glamour.

Market share is down to ~10% for Firefox et al

About high time they change attitude especially for a non profit company.

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2764597]Market share is down to ~10% for Firefox et al

About high time they change attitude especially for a non profit company.[/QUOTE]
And still yet FireFox is still being used? The market share myth is a bust. Nothing comes free in a non-profit company they need revenue to keep the R&D going. If you can find us a way to keep a non-profit company going without Donations/Ads/Sponsorship were all ears here?

The point here is not abusing the active users being the revenue generator hence spam them - do this and game is over as donations will stop!

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2764621]The point here is not abusing the active users being the revenue generator hence spam them - do this and game is over as donations will stop![/QUOTE]
Using the PC hosts edit file I don’t have to worry about seeing it. It’s not that hard I posted how to do it but users still want to smash their heads against the Brick wall. One is making this harder then it really is ya know.

Why so complicated when you can just dump the offending product as Mozilla is experiencing it real life right now? No smashing heads at … all!

… and, btw, the US government (read NSA) payed Mozilla just recently a generous amount to keep 'em alive. We can guess what the deal is?

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2764644]Why so complicated when you can just dump the offending product as Mozilla is experiencing it real life right now? No smashing heads at … all!

… and, btw, the US government (read NSA) payed Mozilla just recently a generous amount to keep 'em alive. We can guess what the deal is?[/QUOTE]
And one thinks they didn’t do the same to Chrome, IE, Safari? And to thinks that the offending products are just limited to Mozilla is small world thinking. All browser will follow and do what the other does or make it more stealth-ware so you won’t know.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2764665]And one thinks they didn’t do the same to Chrome, IE, Safari? And to thinks that the offending products are just limited to Mozilla is small world thinking. All browser will follow and do what the other does or make it more stealth-ware so you won’t know.[/QUOTE]At least with Firefox, since anyone can see the source code, it would be very hard for Mozilla to keep their malware hidden from the public. If you simply reject all of the non-free (free as in freedom) portions of the source code, that will probably be enough to keep big brother from having any backdoors in Firefox. GNU IceCat is a modified version of Firefox, and I doubt it has any such backdoors. Of course, that alone doesn’t protect you from upstream surveillance, but at least it’s better than nothing.

Also, if there’s malicious code in Firefox, editing your hosts file probably won’t do much to help, especially if Firefox is communicating with a government IP address, as opposed to a government domain.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2764874]At least with Firefox, since anyone can see the source code, it would be very hard for Mozilla to keep their malware hidden from the public. If you simply reject all of the non-free (free as in freedom) portions of the source code, that will probably be enough to keep big brother from having any backdoors in Firefox. GNU IceCat is a modified version of Firefox, and I doubt it has any such backdoors. Of course, that alone doesn’t protect you from upstream surveillance, but at least it’s better than nothing.[/QUOTE]This is why people hear and learn sooner then if it was IE or Chrome neither of which you will never hear about it unless some hacker hacks IE or Chrome then expose the program.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2764874]Also, if there’s malicious code in Firefox, editing your hosts file probably won’t do much to help, especially if Firefox is communicating with a government IP address, as opposed to a government domain.[/QUOTE]And you think the IE, Chrome Browser by themselves aren’t doing it either? Sooner or later all Browser will filter through Government Snoopers - to think they don’t is living in a small world here. Really the hosts stop the sending and responding to the code to redirect so it never gets there since it never goes there. What code are you talking about?