Mozilla ditches Silverlight, Java and Acrobat in Firefox 52

Mozilla no longer supports Silverlight, Java and Acrobat in the latest version (52) of Firefox. According to the browser developer the plugins are responsible for performance issues, crashes and security issues because they make use of the old Netscape Plugin API (NPAPI).

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.myce.com/news/mozilla-ditches-silverlight-java-acrobat-firefox-52-81579/

Does that mean they will torpedo other plugins as well?

Seems that every new version torpedos the plugins that worked with the previous version.
While I welcome the demise of JAVA, wonder how the browser will handle the billions of web pages written in Java?
Truly miss the days of simple HTML that loaded in my lifetime and didn’t hog 4 gigs of ram and 50% of my cpu just to load.

I don’t think it will be long for Flash to join the list. Over the past year I’m managing very well without Flash and for the very odd website that needs it, I just Fire up Edge or Chrome. The BBC News was the last website I regularly had to fire up Chrome to video videos, but it has since switched to HTML5 video.

I also wonder how dependent we would still have been on Flash had Apple provided Flash on all its complete iPhone and iPad range from the start.

I’m glad Java is out as its updates were a pest for trying to deliver unwanted adware/spyware and this should encourage websites still using Java to phase it out.

For all html5 hype it is no more secure then previous plugins. Java and flash will be up there in the wild.

That is both true, and at the same time, untrue. Although everything has security holes, HTML5 holes are not universal. A security hole in Chrome will not necessarily affect Firefox, and a Firefox hole might not affect Safari, a Safari hole might not affect Chrome, etc. In other words, there is no “HTML5 security hole” per say, but rather Firefox holes, Chrome holes, etc.

We like to dream it’s only the browser but html5 will come with security flaws that will take time to find and exploited. Don’t anyone think less to dream there isn’t any that is a fish out of the water thinking.

I’m not saying “there won’t be security flaws”. I’m just saying that these flaws won’t be universal, since each web browsing engine implements HTML5 differently. Although there will still be temptation to exploit these flaws, said temptation will be reduced somewhat by the fact that one browers’ flaws won’t be the same as another browser’s flaws.