Mozilla criticizes Microsoft's move to Chromium for giving too much control to Google

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/mozilla-criticizes-microsofts-move-to-chromium-for-giving-too-much-control-to-google-85587/

Mozilla is not happy that Microsoft is working on a new version of Edge that will be based on the open-source Chromium project that was once started by Google. The developers of Firefox argue that by adopting Chromium, “Microsoft hands over control of even more of online life to Google”.

I appreciate Mozilla’s work for the most part, they provide a great number of resources apart from their open source programs. There’s some irony in this though with Mozilla themselves being funded considerably by Google. 2016 figures show 97% of Mozilla’s revenue comes from their search licenses.

Do hope Mozilla can stay strong. While I actually think Edge moving to Chromium is a good step for compatibility it does reduce the pool of major, actively developed, browser engines (to three that I can think of, one of which is a fork of the other).

Everytime I hear a too-big-to-fail tech company complain about “fragmentation”, I always assume they’re complaining about the fact that they don’t have a complete monopoly (yet). They know perfectly well that competition is better for everyone but them. They just don’t care.

So, when Microsoft complains about “fragmentation” on the internet, they’re just trying to justify reducing competition among web engines. They know that should they get enough Chrome/Chromium converts, they can finally achieve their crooked dream of “embrac[ing], enhanc[ing], and extinguish[ing]” their competition, until they have the ONE AND ONLY web browser that people can actually use.

While I actually think Edge moving to Chromium is a good step for compatibility it does reduce the pool of major, actively developed, browser engines (to three that I can think of, one of which is a fork of the other).

Just out of curiosity, are those engines Gecko, WebKit, and Blink?

Yup. Though smaller, niche engines also exist.

I can think of three: KHTML, whatever w3c uses, and whatever NetSurf uses.