Mozilla criticizes Microsoft's move to Chromium for giving too much control to Google

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/mozilla-criticizes-microsofts-move-to-chromium-for-giving-too-much-control-to-google-85587/

Mozilla is not happy that Microsoft is working on a new version of Edge that will be based on the open-source Chromium project that was once started by Google. The developers of Firefox argue that by adopting Chromium, “Microsoft hands over control of even more of online life to Google”.

I appreciate Mozilla’s work for the most part, they provide a great number of resources apart from their open source programs. There’s some irony in this though with Mozilla themselves being funded considerably by Google. 2016 figures show 97% of Mozilla’s revenue comes from their search licenses.

Do hope Mozilla can stay strong. While I actually think Edge moving to Chromium is a good step for compatibility it does reduce the pool of major, actively developed, browser engines (to three that I can think of, one of which is a fork of the other).