Mozilla adds Adobe DRM module to Firefox by default

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Mozilla adds Adobe DRM module to Firefox by default[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2011/11/FirefoxLogo.jpg[/newsimage]

Mozilla has added HTML5 support for Digital Rights Management to Firefox.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/mozilla-adds-adobe-drm-module-to-firefox-by-default-76032/](http://www.myce.com/news/mozilla-adds-adobe-drm-module-to-firefox-by-default-76032/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

The alternative however, would be that services like Netflix no longer work in Firefox.
I don’t see a problem here. If Netflix wants to play chicken with Mozilla by insisting they implement DRM into the fabric of the WWW protocol, Netflix will have to swerve first and in the process Mozilla will gain market-share for standing strong for a free and open internet.

…Or at least they would have. Instead they’re sacrificing yet another chance at relevancy to the alter of corporate control. Surprise surprise.

Firefox has been loosing market share for years now. As is usually the case with DRM, Mozilla has ultimately been stuck with a loose-loose situation: don’t implement DRM and watch helplessly as people complain about their “incompetence”, or include closed-sourced, not-free (“free as in freedom”) malware (I consider DRM implementations to be over-glorified trojans). There popularity is in trouble either way.

In any case, the real problem is not with those who implement DRM (otherwise there would be age-old complaints against Google, Microsoft, Adobe, etc.), but rather those who demand DRM be used. If Hollywood would just stop spending millions of dollars protecting outdated - not to mention harmful - copyright laws from any form of improvements, this mess wouldn’t have happened in the first place. Instead, they’re probably celebrating yet another crushing blow to the free and open internet.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2753924]Firefox has been loosing market share for years now.[/QUOTE]

Alot of wishful thinking…might want to stay off the koolaid…

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2753924]As is usually the case with DRM, Mozilla has ultimately been stuck with a loose-loose situation: don’t implement DRM and watch helplessly as people complain about their “incompetence”, or include closed-sourced, not-free (“free as in freedom”) malware (I consider DRM implementations to be over-glorified trojans). There popularity is in trouble either way.[/QUOTE]

DRM will come in one form or another in Chrome or IE so just saying one Browser will have it is another koolaid thinking.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2753924]In any case, the real problem is not with those who implement DRM (otherwise there would be age-old complaints against Google, Microsoft, Adobe, etc.), but rather those who demand DRM be used. If Hollywood would just stop spending millions of dollars protecting outdated - not to mention harmful - copyright laws from any form of improvements, this mess wouldn’t have happened in the first place. Instead, they’re probably celebrating yet another crushing blow to the free and open internet.[/QUOTE]

DRM…ehhh…Pirates are up to the challenge…so they will just say bring it on…

What has always made Firefox different than other browsers has been their devotion to Free and Open Source software. Mozilla has been quite vocal about the rights of users. These are the same rights DRM is typically designed to take away. That’s why Mozilla’s decision is unfortunate… it makes Mozilla guilty of hypocricy (but I love them anyway). I’m sure there are many Firefox users who use firefox to escape from proprietary browsers like IE or Chrome. Also, I know Firefox’s popularity has been getting lower on the Stat Counter website since at least April 2010. If you don’t believe me, see HERE. I’m pretty sure that orange line is [B]NOT[/B] koolaid. For me, wishful thinking involves the Firefox rising to the top, which is pretty much the opposite of what’s happening.