Mozilla: Ad Blocker in Google Chrome doesn't protect your privacy and still allows trackers

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/mozilla-ad-blocker-google-chrome-doesnt-protect-privacy-still-allows-trackers-83745/

Google Chrome has a built-in ad blocker since today, but it doesn’t protect the privacy of Chrome users, according to competing browser developer, Mozilla. The ad blocker of Chrome only blocks advertisements that don’t adhere to the standards of the Better Ads Coalition, such as popups or large advertisements.

Google and its parent company needs to be the target of an anti-trust lawsuit.

This is why I use my own custom hosts blocker that way if the company capitulate to the adware company my Browser has to follow my hosts edit blocks. So far it has worked and stop adware from hitting my browser or if they open a new windows all they get is “null”. One has to be smarter then the Browser here.

I agree that Google should be broken up, but do they actually have a parent company?

Mozilla is right in that Google’s web browser doesn’t block any surveillance-happy ads. Chrome also doesn’t block ads that slow your computer down, ads that suck up a large portion of your bandwidth, or ads that are used for drive-by downloads. In practice, this is probably Google’s first step in blocking non-Google ads so as to grant Google a complete monopoly in online advertising.

BTW, I’m not 100% sure the built-in tracking protection in Firefox is as effective as Mozilla says. I’d rather trust something I can control. The built-in tracking protection operates in the background, and doesn’t really give the user a way to interact with it. I recommend uBlock, Privacy Badger, HTTPS Everywhere, Disable WebRTC, and CanvasBlocker. You’ll also want to learn as much about these tools as possible, so that you can make the most out of them. If you really want to protect yourself, consider using LibreJS or NoScript, although I warn you that these tools might break a lot of websites.

BTW, Mozilla is NOT 100% trustworthy.

I know it is hard to fathom that Google is a subsidiary of a much larger corporation. That company is Alphabet Inc. and if you knew how many companies it controls and what those companies do then you would demand that it be carved up into a hundred pieces. Google is actively censoring channels on Youtube that do not follow the political agenda they want to promote. Google/Alphabet are the biggest threat to free speech the world has faced since WWII. Below is an alphabetical listing of all the companies owned by them and shows why they chose the name “Alphabet.”

A - Alphabet / Android / AdSense / Analytics / Ara / AdMob / Alerts
B - Blogger / Boston Dynamics / Books
C - Calico / Cardboard / Capital
D - Drive / DeepMind / Design / DoubleClick
E - Earth / Express
F - Fiber / Fi / Flights / FeedBurner / Firebase / Finance
G - Google / Gmail / Glass / Groups
H - Hangouts
I - Images / Ingress / Inbox / Invite Media
J - Jump
K - Keep
L - Life Sciences / Local / Loon
M - Maps / My Business / Makani
N - Nest / News / Nexus / Now
O - Offers
P - Plus / Play / Photos / Picasa / Pixate / Patents
Q - (Nexus) Q
R - Refine / reCaptcha
S - Search / Shopping / SageTV /Stackdriver / Skybox / Skia / Scholar
T - Translate / Tango
V - Voice / Ventures / VirusTotal / Video
W - Wallet / Wing
X - X Labs
Y - YouTube
Z - Project Z / Zagat

Yup, they’re definitely dangerous, that’s for sure. It’s looonnng past time the US Department of Justice (or any similar non-American business watchdog) did its job and broke them up. Between their censorship, their surveillance, their anti-competitive practices (again, Chrome’s pitiful excuse for an ad blocker - I’m absolutely convinced that they will start using this thing to censor their competition sooner or later), and god knows what else, Google and Alphabet need to be broken up.

W also has waymo.

Have to say, I’m shocked. Shocked!

I didn’t look at the date on the article I referenced. There might be many more companies now if it was an older one.