Moving XP from SiL Controller to VIA Controller PCI Cards

vbimport

Hi, I have two 1Tb drives connected to a Silicon Image 2 port PCI Raid card.

I have bought a VIA based PCI RAID card with 4 ports and another two drives.

I thought it would be easy to transfer my existing XP to the VIA PCI Card but cant.

I installed the new VIA card, installed the drivers, attached the new drive, (rebooting each time I was asked after it installed new hardware.

I then copied XP from the SIL based card and drive to the VIA card using Acronis True Image. Shut down the PC took out the card and drives so that all that was left was a single drive with XP on connected to the VIA card. Rebooted and my PC wont start - it says it cant find a bootable system. Checked in BIOS for boot devices and one of the options is for a SCSI Boot device which I assume is the same for the SIL Card and the VIA Card. Rebooted still wont boot missing I think it said NTDLR or similar.

If I take the VIA card out, install the SIL Card and attach the drive the system boots up. So the copy is fine but I guess I am missing something on the driver front so that it boots into the VIA Card.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

This method of transfer is hard to be executed because windows must be modified in register to point to the new boot device.

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2472827]This method of transfer is hard to be executed because windows must be modified in register to point to the new boot device.[/QUOTE]Has there something changed with NT5.1 and later?

I had no problems moving my system HDD (running W2k) from Via IDE to a Promise controller. Drivers were installed, HDD disconnected from Via, connected to Promise, check Bios (boot sequence), ready.

Note, I did not clone my HDD. As far as I can remember, Windows does not like two cloned installations, so some nasty things might happen.

@bigbadger:
You may try this: connect your designated system HDD to the controller, disconnect all other HDDs.
Then boot from your Windows install disc and perform a repair installation. You may need to have the “F6” floppy for your controller at hand (for XP).

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2472847]Has there something changed with NT5.1 and later?

I had no problems moving my system HDD (running W2k) from Via IDE to a Promise controller. Drivers were installed, HDD disconnected from Via, connected to Promise, check Bios (boot sequence), ready.

Note, I did not clone my HDD. As far as I can remember, Windows does not like two cloned installations, so some nasty things might happen.

@bigbadger:
You may try this: connect your designated system HDD to the controller, disconnect all other HDDs.
Then boot from your Windows install disc and perform a repair installation. You may need to have the “F6” floppy for your controller at hand (for XP).

Michael[/QUOTE]

My tests with moving HDs between different controllers results in BSOD “INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE”.
Maybe I forget something in the process …

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2472858]My tests with moving HDs between different controllers results in BSOD “INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE”.
Maybe I forget something in the process …[/QUOTE]Hm. Either you forgot to install the drivers for the new controller before switching the HDD or something has really changed with newer flavours of Windows :confused:

Michael

Just looked at my post and realised that I should have said moving from SATA SiL controller to SATA VIA controller (both are PCI Cards). Although I did mention SCSI device perhaps I should have been more specific. So the problem persists - any more ideas? Thanks