Moving to Gauting Munich for 3 months - need info

vbimport

Hi there folks,

I am moving to Gauting, which is 30km outside Munich Germany, for 3 months for a fellowship in interventional bronchoscopy. This will take place probably in May or September, not sure yet.

I just need some information regarding the town, the way of living, practical things for the most part. I have not decided yet whether I will go by plane or drive my car (Greece to Italy by ferry, then a 600km trip from Venice). It depends on whether I will need a car for transport over there, whether I will have to pay for parking outside the house I ll be renting etc.

Anyone living near that place?

Needless to say that my German are as good as your Greek :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2683532]whether I will have to pay for parking outside the house I ll be renting etc.[/QUOTE]
I can’t say anything about Gauting, but looking at Google Maps, I’d say that you can just park your car on the road without actually paying for it - unlike Munich city.

However Gauting also seems to have an S-Bahn (some kind of train) going to Munich, so if you only want to go there, it’s probably easier to use public transportation instead of a car

Google Street View is great too and you can check out places near where you’re staying using it.

We do that when we’re heading off on holiday to somewhere new.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

I’ve actually used both to take a sneak peek of what I should expect but I was also looking for the input of someone living nearby.

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2683532]Hi there folks,

I have not decided yet whether I will go by plane or drive my car (Greece to Italy by ferry, then a 600km trip from Venice).[/QUOTE] If you have the cash for it, i’d recommend by car. Germany has lots of huge big nice roads and it’s a pretty big country.

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2684041]Thanks guys :slight_smile:

I’ve actually used both to take a sneak peek of what I should expect but I was also looking for the input of someone living nearby.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm… so I take it 1,175 miles away isn’t close enough then? :bigsmile:

Oh well.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Hi again, coming back to this as I am in need of some more info from my German friends - or anyone living in Germany for that matter.

I will be staying in some small apartments that the Hospital is renting right next to the main Clinic, but I have been informed that internet connection is not available in the apartment even at an extra cost, which is rather surprising. Anyways, I am in need of information regarding the availability and cost of prepaid usb internet sticks with mobile companies such as vodafone or any other you may suggest. I have tried looking into i.e. vodafone.de but my German is really bad and google translate is not a solution. I have found that there is a usb card available herebut the cost seems rather high for 200mb and then there is no further information on the costs for renewing it.

Any suggestions regarding any possible choices from all companies would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

I advise you to pm Dean-the Deanimator he teaches English in Germany

And good luck in Germany.

[QUOTE=marloyd;2695310]I advise you to pm Dean-the Deanimator he teaches English in Germany

And good luck in Germany.[/QUOTE]
Thanks marloyd, I am sure Dean will see this eventually :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe that is another option. I kinda have no experience with prepaid datasticks…

Also that portal.

Yo Hemi-

Don’t forget to wear the lederhosen EVERY day - the folks will think you are a local-eh! :iagree:

I guess everyone in Gaunting will rather think that he’s nuts if he wears them.

Sorry I was caught up between working at the clinic and the preparations for the trip.

Chef thanks a lot for the links, I will check them out too, google translate tells me that there is an option there for no contract which is perfect for their price.

As for the lederhosen, I had to look it up… It could be a nice change from wearing my underwear on my head :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2697178]As for the lederhosen, I had to look it up… It could be a nice change from wearing my underwear on my head :p[/QUOTE]

You could always create a new fashion trend and do both!! :p:bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Why not go all the way and wear lederhosen on your head?! :smiley:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2697209]Why not go all the way and wear lederhosen on your head?! :D[/QUOTE]

Where would he wear his underpants then? :p;)

[B]Wombler[/B]

Silly boy! Like [I]El Presidente[/I] said, “All underwear will be worn on the outside!”

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2697239]Silly boy! Like [I]El Presidente[/I] said, “All underwear will be worn on the outside!”[/QUOTE] Everyone knows that only superheroes can wear their underpants on the outside! :cop:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2697242]Everyone knows that only superheroes can wear their underpants on the outside! :cop:[/QUOTE]

Not for ‘Bicycle repairman’ though! :bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2697264]Not for ‘Bicycle repairman’ though! :bigsmile:
[/QUOTE] Bicycle Repairman [I]could[/I] wear his underpants on the outside - he just [I]chooses[/I] not to. :cool:

[Off-Topic]
BTW isn’t it great how we’re all really helping Hemi tremendously in this thread?! :bigsmile:
[/Off-Topic]