Moving on to a DVD burner

I have been using plain old cdrw burners for quite some time now. I started out with a Plextor 12x SCSI, and now am using a 52x LiteOn. I really want to move up to a DVD burner, but which one? I know you guys are prob tired of answering this same question over and over again, so I will annoy you even more and ask it myself.

What is the best DVD burner you can buy as of right now?

Price is not an issue, but I do want the best overall burner. I want it mostly for DVD backup/hi quality writes, and a good backup drive for my protected games as well (I love Alcohol 120%). I have always liked Plextor and LiteOn, but I hear the Sony and Pioneer drives aren’t very bad either. Let me know your comments on what might be the best drive available with no limitation on price.

Thanx

By the way, I posted this in the Plextor forum partially cause I think that most will tell me to get Plextor’s new 8x offering, but we will see when the replies come.

Hi,

I recently had a set up similar to yours, the plex 12/4/32 scsi , liteon 52/24/52, LiteOn XJ-HD166S, (an an older wide scsi cdrom from plextor). After the 52x liteon burner broke (again). I ditched all my optical drives and replaced them with a 708a and plex premium.

I haven’t tried backing up any safedisk protected games but according to the review both of these drives can back up safedisk.

I have not experienced any problems backing up to DVD at 8x on 4x memorex DVD+R (see media type below) media. I also had no problems copying DVD’s using DVD X Copy Express at 8x. The only thing I don’t like is holding in the eject button for 3 seconds to unlock the read speed.

Media Information                            

Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNR01
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name MY_DISC
Application id
Implementation id AHEAD Nero
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 10/27/2003 21:05:14
Format Capacity 4.36GB(4.68GB)
Book Type DVD+R
Media Type DVD+R
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 22DDCFh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

… Hi … if price wouldn’t be a problem, I would highly recommend the 708A, it’s a real fine burner

… if you like Alc120, Backup’s should be possible with Plextor and LiteOn,
. . but over all the Plex works more comfortable, takes more media,
. . has better write -speed and -quality

… otherwise, if you wanna make a backup of newest Securom,
. . you should use Blindwrite(4) and a Premium :wink:

… Sony … Pioneer … hmm, never used … I always use Plex and Lite,
. . I like them, too …