Moving my VCR tapes to DVD

vbimport

DVD newbie here.

I have an ATI 8500DV and I am converting some kids videos to DVD to take advatage of chapters etc. I also have my wedding videos that I would like to move to DVD.

I am not interested in VCD or SVCD as I want to maintain DVD compatibility.

I am just starting to do tests, and my question what is the optimum resolutions, and bit rates I should use to get video quality that is just as good as the VCR, but giving me as much as record time as possible on the DVD disk.

I am capturind MPEG2 files in real time using unlead DVD studio. If there is anything else you recommend I willing to learn.

A second question I have is that when I use the ATI software to capture MPEG2 files the sound is fuzzy on certain music pitches. When I captured using Unlead DVD studio with the same settings I noticed that sound quality is a lot better. If any body has anything to add about this, that would be great.

Originally posted by jborge
A second question I have is that when I use the ATI software to capture MPEG2 files the sound is fuzzy on certain music pitches. When I captured using Unlead DVD studio with the same settings I noticed that sound quality is a lot better. If any body has anything to add about this, that would be great.

Generally the software that comes with capture/video cards is pretty basic or cut down retail versions. Ulead make some good capture software, stick with it if its working for you.

Nerovision express 2 does the job pretty well…

JiNeD

TMPG Enc DVD Author also does an excellent job,in fact the GUI for
NeroVision Express 2 and TMPG are almost identical,although made by different companies (Ahead and Pegasys,Inc,respectively)