Moving my files from one hard drive to a new one

vbimport

I will be getting a new external hard drive, & want to move my files from my older external drive onto it, in the past I have just plugged in both my hard drives into usb ports & moved files slowly at a time from one drive to another using windows explore, are there any free programs that can efficiently & accurately without corruption do this? or should I just use windows explore like I have before?

Sossity

XXCLONE works pretty well for me for free, at least they have a basic free version that works. I’ve used it before to clone my old drive to my new bigger drives, and they seemed to work fine afterwords though I might have had to rename the drive or reassign the proper drive letter.
Most of the HD makers give a good file transfer/cloning program with their drive as well, Seagate includes a good one that I’ve also used with fine results.
Try http://xxclone.com/xxclone.zip and see if it works OK for you. I usually keep the original drive around untouched for a while just in case something doesn’t work out, once your happy it all works and is stable you can do what ya want with the old one.

[quote=Sossity;2135471]I will be getting a new external hard drive, & want to move my files from my older external drive onto it, in the past I have just plugged in both my hard drives into usb ports & moved files slowly at a time from one drive to another using windows explore, are there any free programs that can efficiently & accurately without corruption do this? or should I just use windows explore like I have before?

Sossity[/quote]
If you want an external hdd to move your files just get a 320gb WD Passport drive, it will sync all your files. If you want to change your internal drive you dont even need an external, just use Acronis True Image in Clone Mode, and Clone your hdd you have now to the new one and trash the old one. It will move the Operating System and every file on the disc. External to external is easy. Move them onto a partition on your internal and then sync them to your new external.