Moving data from a disk with bad sectors

vbimport

Hello everyone!

I have 250GB WD with some bad sectors. I am about to buy another disk too and I’ll probably send this one back for warranty check and I’ll probably get a new one.
There’s variety of stuff on this drive. It is separated into two partitions, one is holding up the system. I just need the other 200 GB of data. How to move that properly onto a new and fresh disk? Can I just simply copy data in a file browser? I have feeling that I’ll need an application that can copy data with ignoring bad sectors.

Help please.

just copy the bad data, you cant copy bad secotrs… in other words it wont make a new drive develop bad sectors as well, as I think this is what you are asking about

Worst case is any files stored in the bad sectors now may either fail to copy or partially copy leaving you with corrupted files. If that happens results of these files depending on type can vary, such as executables will suffer most and likely not work at all, pictures may have odd blurrs, smudges or distortions, documents might have starnge ascii characters, and video’s might miss segemts or distort and freeze during a scene or range of scene. If the data from these bad sectors fails to copy then you will see errors with recyclic redundancy.

In most cases you can get back over 90% of data unless the drive is really fried.

[QUOTE=Sodom;2075932]Hello everyone!

I have 250GB WD with some bad sectors. I am about to buy another disk too and I’ll probably send this one back for warranty check and I’ll probably get a new one.
There’s variety of stuff on this drive. It is separated into two partitions, one is holding up the system. I just need the other 200 GB of data. How to move that properly onto a new and fresh disk? Can I just simply copy data in a file browser? I have feeling that I’ll need an application that can copy data with ignoring bad sectors.

Help please.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried WD HDD program from WD to see if it will fix the drive and then copy the data if you can from the bad sectors??? I would give that a try to see what it can do for you before you loose that data.

I have scanned the disk for bad sectors and they were found. At the time I wasn’t prepared for fixing them because I’m still checking which vital data is in those sectors (approximately, of course). I have a huge amount of audio recordings because I mainly do audio montage and maybe photoshop so I wanna know where I stand from this point now.

I’ll be sending the disk back because I have a chance to get a new one. For free under warranty. I think WD’s have 3 or even 5 years of warranty here. I won’t bother fixing it so I’ll just grab a new one.

This WD was strange from the first day I brought it home and installed it. After every shutdown there’s a weird clunk that is probably the head moving to 0 or smth. I somehow don’t like that factor either.