Movies recorded at 60p with HX100V camera freeze when playing on Sony BDP-S370

vbimport

Hi everyone,

Sony support has only offered to me to send my videos on a disc to them to see if they can find out what is wrong… so I decided to get more concrete answers.

I own a Sony digital camera, the Cybershot DSC-HX100V. It can do 1920x1080 video at 60 frames per second progressive (60p) at 28Mbps data (or bit) rate. My Sony home blu-ray player is a model from 2010 - the BDP-S370. It recently got a firmware upgrade by Sony claiming that this new firmware ENABLES the playing of 50p/60p videos produced by Sony cameras. My firmware upgrade went perfectly without issues and showed successful on the blu-ray. My videos still are choppy and basically, stop, play, stop, play with about 1 second stops and resuming of play on its own, so they are unplayable if I copy them onto a blu-ray disc OR if I insert a USB memory stick into the blu-ray player’s USB slot. The USB stick is high-speed - the Rally 2 by OCZ - which can write at 15MBps and read at 25MBps.

By the way, if I reduce the quality of the videos on the camera menu from PS (the highest mentioned above) to FX (1920x1080 at 24Mbps data rate and 60p/60i though I think this is 60i/30p because that’s how my software interprets it), they play fine on the blu-ray player (BDP-S370). Also, all the videos play fine on my computer blu-ray burner (an LG) and from the hard drive or from the same OCZ memory stick.

I also have a Sony HD TV by the way, the Bravia 40EX400, 60Hz, 40 inch, LCD.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Any suggestions?

John

Also, all the videos play fine on my computer blu-ray burner (an LG) and from the hard drive or from the same OCZ memory stick.

This alone makes me think your issue is with the Sony BDP-S370. Their firmware fix may not be quite as good as they believe. But that doesn’t offer a solution for you, other than working with Sony on the problem.