Movie's original size <= 4.7gb

hi again,

here’s a small question: let’s say i wanna do a movie-only copy of a dvd9 and the original movie-files are <= 4.7gb. does clonedvd touch the movie files in any way and fiddle around with it, or does it just “stream” the files?
hope ya know, what i mean.
thanx and cheers,

uargh.

Originally posted by uargh
[B]hi again,

here’s a small question: let’s say i wanna do a movie-only copy of a dvd9 and the original movie-files are <= 4.7gb. does clonedvd touch the movie files in any way and fiddle around with it, or does it just “stream” the files?
hope ya know, what i mean.
thanx and cheers,

uargh. [/B]

From what I gather from different posts on this forum and the succesfuls backups I’ve made so far with CloneDVD if the size is less than the available disc size (somewhere around 4.7 GB) CloneDVD does not transcode anything, so there is no quality loss whatsoever.

And about the streaming, it may be that CloneDVD does split the video and audio channel but perhaps only if you’ve deselected a audio channel (commentary for example).

But I could not find any technical info to sustain this (didn’t look really hard to tell you the truth…).

thank you much!

My guess is its streams it and compresses it with clone’s own compression scheme and so makes it smaller.

but Hey… I don’t know either… I too am trying to figure this out…

If the DVD file total is less than 4.37GB, then the DVD is copied as-is.

If it’s over 4.37GB (or 4.7 marketecture Gigabytes) then the DVD has to be de-muxed, the movie shrunk - using a VOB engine, then re-muxed. As audio is compressed anyway (except PCM) none of the transcoders will touch it. Only the movie content is reduced.

de-MUX = de-Multiplex. The process of separating audio from video.