Movies on Vista

hi there anyone having trouble loading all my movies thru an external hard drive and loading them onto windows vista and thru my tv how can i do this thanks
States:confused:

First - Explain what you are trying to do …

Movies could mean anything between ripping/playing a bluray via External USB drive through HDMI from my video card that supports HDMI natively … through to … I have some avi’s sitting on a USB HDD that I want to play on my TV using component video cables and stereo audio cables …

trying to save some of them from my external hdd to my laptop the folders end up there but nothing inside them. so not sure what i doing wrong.

So you are plugging in your external HD, and then using a copy/paste to move them to another HD?

yes thats exactly what im doing the pictures that i am doing to stay on the laptop but eh movies dont. what am i doing wrong?

The files themselves will not copy?

they copy over while hdd is connected but when dis connected they dont stay there

I have this problem with vista and it pisses me right off. I found if you make a new folder on your vista system then copy the movie/files over to the new folder it works ok, but if you try dragging something in a folder from an external drive whether it be a usb drive or whatever it only copies the folder without the contents.

I tested the problem on my Vista HP & I don’t have any of these problems.I can drag files back & forth from the external to internal HDD’s with both right & left click method.The files remain on both where I put them even after a disconect.
I don’t have a solution but this may help you find one.
Do the files you are “coppying” have a Shortcut arrow on them ?
If they do you are creating a shortcut not creating a new file.
That’s why they disappear with a disconect.

[QUOTE=cholla;2279601]I tested the problem on my Vista HP & I don’t have any of these problems.I can drag files back & forth from the external to internal HDD’s with both right & left click method.The files remain on both where I put them even after a disconect.
I don’t have a solution but this may help you find one.
Do the files you are “coppying” have a Shortcut arrow on them ?
If they do you are creating a shortcut not creating a new file.
That’s why they disappear with a disconect.[/QUOTE]
This problem exists he isn’t making it up or making a shortcut.

@slayerking; I was just saying this wasn’t a problem for me with Vista.I tried to see if it would happen on my OS & it didn’t.
There are some differences my Vista isn’t on a laptop.
I didn’t test with the FAT32 partition only the NTFS partition on my external.
Anyway not doubting the problem exists just trying to help.
I will give moving some files & folders to & from the FAT32 partition & see if that is where the problem might be.

Using Vista 64 and transfered files to my external hd or even my other internal hd’s … never had a problem:confused: are you getting a error message ? when this occurs

FAT32 has a file size limit and that would be your problem. google fat32 file limit and you will get lots of answers

[QUOTE=GJ;2279947]FAT32 has a file size limit and that would be your problem. google fat32 file limit and you will get lots of answers[/QUOTE]Try reading the whole thread, I have confirmed his problem and it has NOTHING to do with fat32.

@cholla
Yeah I’ve only had it happen a couple of times myself but it does happen, Both times it happened at very important moments.
First time it happened was the worst as I lost 130+gb of data yep that’s right. Copied all my stuff from a smaller hdd to a larger one to recycle the smaller, sat there for 30 minutes or so while it said copying (hah) everything went across so it seemed, after using computers for 25+ years I should have checked it all went over but alas I didn’t and I formatted the old drive. Went to use some of the files that had been transferred and not one of them was there just the folders you could imagine what happened next :wink: luckily I got most of it back.

I did read the thread before posting so don’t jump to conclusions and I have vista also and do not have that problem when I transfer movies from my external to my internal. I also have laptop XP and do not have that issue with it. This is a newbie forum section and I do not think your remark should have been made on this forum section.

[QUOTE=GJ;2279974]I did read the thread before posting so don’t jump to conclusions and I have vista also and do not have that problem when I transfer movies from my external to my internal. I also have laptop XP and do not have that issue with it. This is a newbie forum section and I do not think your remark should have been made on this forum section.[/QUOTE]The problem doesn’t exist on XP, It doesn’t just happen with movies.
With a google search you can see the problem is pretty widespread in vista. I actually like vista ( prefer linux more) but it does have some big problems.

reading your previous post seemed to me you were telling him not asking him what is going on. Just because it doesn’t happen to you doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen :wink:

[QUOTE=slayerking;2279978]The problem doesn’t exist on XP, It doesn’t just happen with movies.
With a google search you can see the problem is pretty widespread in vista. I actually like vista ( prefer linux more) but it does have some big problems.

reading your previous post seemed to me you were telling him not asking him what is going on. Just because it doesn’t happen to you doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen ;)[/QUOTE]
Well 3 of us have already mentioned not having this problem with Vista and only you and the OP have mentioned the problem so why don’t you stay on topic as this is a help thread for the OP and not a thread to argue with other members who do not have this problem and are trying to help the OP with the problem.
States79 can you transfer a iso file from the external to the internal?

@slayerking; Bad luck with that transfer good luck you got most of it back.
I did test copying & draging some movie & other files in & out of the FAT32 partition on my external.I had no problem with doing that.
There was one difference in dragging though.When dragging a file with right click from the FAT32 partition the complete file remained & made a complete copy in the folder I dragged it to on my internal NTFS HDD.
When I R click dragged on the internal it moves the file from one folder to the other.
The reason I have both FAT32 & NFTS on my external is I also have an older computer with 98 still on it.It wont recognize a NTFS partition.I use the external to transfer files from one computer to the other when necessary.
It now seems that it is not a FAT32 problem unless the one different behavior points to something.
I get along OK with Vista but I’ve done some major things to really take ownership.
I still have one set of files I don’t have permissions to & I ocassionally shred those with a TRK linux disc.

Yeah that’s what I think the problem has to do with permissions. Vista’s permission scheme is insane at times.

[QUOTE=GJ;2279982]Well 3 of us have already mentioned not having this problem with Vista and only you and the OP have mentioned the problem so why don’t you stay on topic as this is a help thread for the OP and not a thread to argue with other members who do not have this problem and are trying to help the OP with the problem.
States79 can you transfer a iso file from the external to the internal?[/QUOTE]
Looks to me like everyone is trying to help GJ. And slayerking has a point in saying that even if it doesn’t happen to you, it is still a legitimate problem that has been confirmed to happen.

I wonder if states79 has SP1 on his version of Vista?