Movies not working on my CD drive (laptop = Dell XPS 1710)

[qanda]This thread is about the Dell XPS 1710. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Okay…

I have had this laptop for about 5 months now…no real problems

until about 3 weeks ago when i got a real bad virus and had to redo my whole system…

well ig ot it up and working just fine…
except my CD/DVD drive doesnt want to play my movies…it plays it but like, skips and the sound is messing up and skipping as well

when i watch videos and stuff online it works fine

Now when i put a CD in and upload it to itunes its readin it jst fine…but the same thing happens w/ the sound, but only when the CD is in the drive and ripping the songs…as soon as all the songs are on and it stops readin the disk, it goes normal again

I used PowerDVD to watch movies…

is there somethin i can do to fix my CD drive??

any drivers i need to download or anything like that??

Help would be much appreciated

Hi Krankzin and Welcome:

The easiest solution is to use VLC which does not depend on outside codecs (and it works really well).

http://www.videolan.org/

gah…its not playin that neither…my whole computer jst gets really laggy and the window that shows the movie is jst blakc…no sound no nothing…

i just tried PowerDVD and an error came up…

it sez

"Error Code: F4D41436

TheTV Out port of your display card is not working properly"

wat is this??/

[quote=Krankzin;2212886] except my CD/DVD drive doesnt want to play my movies…it plays it but like, skips and the sound is messing up and skipping as well[/quote] This might be a problem with the DMA setting on your drive. Have a look in this thread for how to detect and fix DMA problems:

Troubleshooting: Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile: