Movie Stops in Middle/Restarts

Has anyone had a movie stop maybe half-way thru, freeze for a few seconds, go black, then the “load disk” comes on your set top player and acts like you just inserted your backup back in and starts playing from the beginning with no problems?
I had this happens 2x in past week with 2 different backups and just to see if the disk was dirty,
fast forwarded to just before the freeze and it played thru that spot fine so don’t think a brand new burned verbatim +R was dirty…

I use latest platinum FAb version and wondering if this could be a file error or set top player may need cleaning…

If you’ve ever used Nero CD-DVD Speed to do a transfer rate test on your burned DVDs, it would be interesting to see if that Transfer Rate Test shows a big dip downwards right about where you are noticing the “freeze” during playback. If that graph were basically a smooth line going upwards, then that would be interesting to see as well.

Cleaning the drive may help?

Well, cleaning the tray and such couldn’t hurt. Get a good anti-static brush and sweep the tray out. This will negate the static charge, therefore eliminating dust attraction for a while. I imagine Wal-mart has some kind of generic DVD-cleaner that would be fine, and use that, then see if the playing improves. However, it could just as well be your burned DVD, as you didn’t mention having tested it with Nero CD-DVD speed in any way, either by a Transfer Rate Test which would test how it holds up being read from 6-16x and a Disc Quality test, that would give you some idea of how good or not the burn was. That could reveal very high PIE and/or PIF past specs in that area or overall. There’s no way to eliminate the disk unless some kind of testing is done on it, so if you can test it, do so and see how it tests.

which one in tools is transfer speed?
never mind…found it.

ok…
did the transfer rate test…
no spikes… 100% good.
scan disk…100% good…

soooooooo,
probably dirty set top player.
had it for over a year and never cleaned…

Glad to hear the disk seemed to test fine. It is a curious thing, as I’ve had my DVD player much longer than 1 year (2 IIRC), yet all I’ve ever done is occasionally brush out the tray with my anti-static brush and never had trouble with playback. I suppose it could be that perhaps your player is a little picky also? If after cleaning it you still get the freezing, try putting it into another DVD player at a friend’s house and see if it stops or freezes at the same point.

[I]try putting it into another DVD player at a friend’s house and see if it stops or freezes at the same point.[/I]

[I][I]good idea[/I][/I]…

actually,
we have 2 upconvert to HD via component players here at home.
wierd thing is like I said before, fast/forward to bad spot and it works ok.
almost like it stopped due to mechanical error[machine] and starts over…
anyways,
thanks for your input…
Tony
Pa…

Every time I have had this problem it was from finger prints on the disk or cheap disk. Finger prints i just washed them off cheap disk I stop using years ago and started using only Taiyo Yuden premium.

Also you could have some program like antivirus that could be trying to update and is taking up processor time for second or two.