Movie only

vbimport

Hi,

I have a question and I know I can figure this out by just trying it, but I figure this will be faster and easire without having to waste a DVD. If I burn movie only, what exactly gets burned? Are the chapter markers still there? The DVD menu isn’t there?

Thanks,
Ezack

In movie only, you will get an output from Dvd20ne of the ifo/bup and vob files, needed for the movie.

You wont get menus obviously, but the film will start, when you insert the DVD, in your standalone, and the chapters will be intact.

Thanks buddy. Does using this option make a visible difference in the movie quality?

Ezack

It will make a big difference, if the menus and extras od the original are large.

I.E it’s not unusual to have a 6-7gb DVD, and the movie is only 4-5gb (1-2 gb of junk). Obviously the more gb you devote to the movie, the higher the quality.

Some folk will not transcode/compress beyond 30%, believing anything more is unacceptable. I suppose at the end of the day it depends on individual opinion and what you are watching the finished product on. Maybe if you have a 42" Plasma TV, the quality is more vital.

Gotcha. I’ve read on this board about making VCD’s. I suppose that means compressing to 650 MB? I suppose that quality is horrible–worse than VHS?

Ezack

There was a guy on here trying to create something on a CDR with Dvd20ne, but that’s not what this program was designed for.

VCD Help’s website is good for this, if you dont own a DVD Burner, but most folk that have used DVD20ne or similar progs, with DVDR’s,wouldn’t want to compromise on quality back to VCD’s.

Also, the time to produce a VCD, is anything up to 4/5hours, wheras with DVD20ne etc., you can rip/compress & burn in around about 60-90 minutes (depending on your system) and have A1 quality.

Originally posted by Phil Thomas
In movie only, you will get an output from Dvd20ne of the ifo/bup and vob files, needed for the movie.
Is there any way to perform a “movie-only” process AND select all the camera angles available?

This is my first time ever using any sort of backup software, much less DVD2one, so I might have missed something, but I couldn’t figure out a way to process only the move but still retain the multiple camera angles offered.

with dvd2one yes the chapters are in tact and you can fast foward and rewind…

Rob

Originally posted by robbyrob
with dvd2one yes the chapters are in tact and you can fast foward and rewind
Rob:
If you were answering my question about selecting “movie only” for processing AND being able to select more than one camera angle, I must admit I don’t understand your answer.

In movie-only you select only one angle (almost always ‘1’).
I find this quite acceptable, and prefer the quality m-o provides in an economic/fast, 1-disk copy.
It is possible to include (for instance) English subs–but these are apparently seldom (or never) needed to produce a ‘true theatric’ output.
Venture a dvd r/rw and see what you think…

Originally posted by loggy
In movie-only you select only one angle (almost always ‘1’).
I find this quite acceptable, and prefer the quality m-o provides in an economic/fast, 1-disk copy

I understand that “movie only” allows for the selction of only one camera angle, and that if multiple camera angles are offered, I should select angle #1.

However, in my particular situation, I wish to process as “Movie Only” AND retain ALL the camera angles for some specific DVDs.

Yes I understand that this will require greater compression of the main movie, but it is surely less compression than if I am required to do an entire disk copy, thereby getting extra stuff I don’t need simply to get all the camera angles which I do want.

Not a big deal if the software won’t allow a wider variety of optional selections for a real reason that I am unaware of, or perhaps it simply being Version 1. It’s only an issue if there is no real reason for the additional optional selections to not to be considered for a future version of the software.

I bought the software last week as-is and hope for additional features to be added as the software evolves. I appreciate the efforts put forth by the authors and am simply conversing amicably while learning.

Originally posted by Ladd
I understand that “movie only” allows for the selction of only one camera angle, and that if multiple camera angles are offered, I should select angle #1.
However, in my particular situation, I wish to process as “Movie Only” AND retain ALL the camera angles for some specific DVDs.
It’s only an issue if there is no real reason for the additional optional selections to not to be considered for a future version of the software.
I appreciate the efforts put forth by the authors and am simply conversing amicably while learning.

So you were asking for a feature as opposed to asking another user for input? Sorry, I misunderstood…
For sake of speculation, I doubt multi-angle was just ‘overlooked’, but that in a movie-only transcode, it would be a real ‘wildcard’ to adjust for all title/authoring spectrum. Sometimes (StarWars?) an angle is there related to a title-scroll, others have angle mark-in/out all here and there in structure and all implemented differently. And it would be hard (or impossible) to treat them properly from a m-o FileMode DVDD/SR extraction, as it’s an out-of-context analysis.
I think most folks seek more deletion ability in m-o, rather than any additions. For instance, an option to select (in larger movies) that would cut all but the first seconds of credits at close (which can eat 175-250 Mb.). That would be a popular feature, and easier to institute without a major risk of ‘bugs’ and title-incompatibility.
Also, I think we are all appreciative and amiable here… :slight_smile:

Originally posted by loggy
So you were asking for a feature as opposed to asking another user for input? Sorry, I misunderstood…
Nope, the “unclarity” was mine. As a noob to DVD2one and its genre, I WAS asking if I was missing how to do something that it didn’t seem to want to do, but in the context “Oh, OK. If DVD2one doesn’t do it now, perhaps it could later”.

I understand that DVD2one is performing all sorts of magic “under the hood”, but the advantage of optional choices and other configurabilities is because one size doesn’t fit all. DTOX is a smashing version 1 and I hope that later versions will incorporate additional features that you, me and other might find useful. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Ladd