[moved] Some info from digitalfaq, are they true?

vbimport

Some info from digitalfaq, are they true? Are those [color=red]4TH CLASS MEDIA [/color]
really that bad as the Pathetic garbage media…?

Media ID Quality Guide

The following list is in preference order. The best discs are near the top of the list. The discs at the bottom of the list are suitable only for a landfill. PVC is the best of all, LONGTEN is the worst of all, etc. Note: Some codes may be listed twice, done because a -R, -RW, +RW and +R by the same company may not be the same quality. The format is listed because of this.

1ST CLASS MEDIA
Almost flawless burns with 95-100% reliable results:
PVC = Pioneer = (-R)(-RW) … media is no longer made
MXLRG01, MXLRG02 = Maxell = (-R)(-RW) … be aware of fakes
TAIYOYUDEN, YUDEN, TYG01, TYG02 = Taiyo Yuden = (-R)(+R) … be aware of fakes
MCC = Mitsubishi Chemicals = (-R)(-RW)(+R)(+RW)
TDKG02, TTG01 = TDK Corp = (-R)(-RW) … be aware of fakes

2ND CLASS MEDIA
Decent discs, though not perfect, about 80-95% success rate:
PRODISC = Prodisc Media = (-R)(+R)
INFODISC = Infodisc Media = (+RW)
SONYD04 = Sony = (-R) … be aware of fakes
RICOHJPN = Ritek or Ricoh = (+R)(+RW)
RITEK = Ritek = (+R)(-R)(-RW)(+RW)
OPTODISC = Optodisc = (-R)
FUJIFILM = Fuji = (-R)(+R)

3RD CLASS MEDIA
Quality can be very questionable, about 50-80% success rate:
LEADDATA, LD01, LD, LEDA = Lead Data = (-R)(-RW)
BEALL = Samsung BeAll = (-R)(+R)
MBI = Moser Beaur (India) = (-R)(+R)(+RW)
PRINCO, fake TDK = Princo = (-R)(-RW)
ONIDTECH = Unknown OEM = (-R)
MUST = Unknown OEM = (-R)
GSC001, GSC002 = Unknown OEM = (-R)(+R)

4TH CLASS MEDIA
Pathetic garbage media, landfill material, about 0-50% success rate:
RITEKG01, RITEKG02 = Ritek = (-R)
CMC, CMCMAG = CMC Magnetics = (+R)(-R)
PIODATA, PIO = LeadData, Ritek = (-R) … once sold as “Pioneer” but that’s false
Fake SONY, MXL = Fake Sony/Maxell from Hong Kong OEM (Infosmart?) = (-R)
OPTODISC = Optodisc = (+R)(+RW)
AN31, AN32, ANWELL, AN30 = Hong Kong OEM (Infosmart?) = (-R)
INFOSMART = Hong Kong OEM = (-R)(+R)
VANGUARD = Unknown OEM = (-R)
YIJHAN = Hong Kong OEM = (-R)
MATRIX = Hong Kong OEM = (-R)
VDSPMS = Unknown OEM = (-R)(+R)
LONGTEN = Hong Kong OEM = (-R)

ANYTHING ELSE = Unknown OEM or NEW
New medias to watch for: MXLRG03
Branding Guide

Although this will change on a regular basis, the following brands are known to use the following media makers for their outsourced discs.

Be careful for CMC and PRINCO discs, as those are becoming more common in those “special sales” seen almost every week since early 2004. Some companies prefer dollars over quality, so be careful. Also be especially careful of “house brands” or no-names. Stores like Fry’s and CompUSA have horrible return policies too, so if you end up with an unfavorable media ID, do not burn a test, just take it back for a refund and take your business elsewhere.

Accu = LEADDATA
Americal = RITEKG01, PRINCO, LEADDATA
Apple = MXL, MCC
Arita = RITEKG03, RICOHJPN
Bulkpaq = PRINCO, PRODISC
CompUSA = PRINCO, OPTODISC, LD
Datawrite = PRINCO, PRODISC, AN31, RITEKG03
DupEZ = PIODATA, LEADDATA
Esbuy = RITEK, LEADDATA, other budget IDs
Fuji = TAIYOYUDEN, MCC, RICOHJPN, PRODISC, FUJIFILM
GQ = PIODATA, PRINCO, RITEKG03, RITEKG02, LEADDATA, LD
HP = CMC, RICOHJPN, MCC
Imation = RITEKG03, CMC
KHypermedia = CMC, TTG01
LiquidVideo = OPTODISC
Matrix = MATRIX, LONGTEN, YIJHAN, MUST
Maxell = MXL, RITEK, RICOHJPN, TYG01
Memorex = CMC, RICOHJPN, PRODISC, INFODISC
Meritline = Various budget IDs
Mirror = AN31, ONIDTECH, PRINCO
Optodisc = OPTODISC
Philips = CMC
Pioneer = PVC
Princo = PRINCO, Fake TDK
Prodisc = PRODISCS03, MCC
Ritek = RITEKG01-04, RICOHJPN
Samsung = TYG01, BEALL, RITEK
Sonic, Shop4tech = LONGTEN, MATRIX, MUST, YIJHAN, various budget IDs
Sony = SONYD04, RICOHJPN, MCC
Supermedia, Linkyo = Various budget IDs
TDK = TDK, RITEKG04, RICOHJPN, MXL, CMC, MCC
Verbatim = MCC, CMC, YUDEN, RICOHJPN, RITEKG03

For unusual brands and media IDs, check out the www.videohelp.com media section. In most cases, unknown media IDs would be re-branded or ID-hidden discs, often of dubious quality. Some unknown brands are overstock from other media companies. This is often the mark of very cheap media. Buyer beware.

I don’t think the ONIDTECH that made by ULTRAN Taiwan is good enough to put it in class 3.

Hmm…CMC media become the Class 4. Wow…

Moved to the Media Forum…

No that’s just one person’s opinion and he has posted all kind of “weird” things in some forums, for example that BTC burners are fine and BenQ burners are crap :rolleyes: His website is also filled with BS that makes me wonder if he has any idea what he is talking about…

CMC media is for example way better than Optodisc and Princo media, imo.

Any such list is bound to be misleading and open to arguement. We all know that media compatability is drive specific, so one man’s garbage is another man’s caviar. That said, it’s also true that some media is always crap, and this list seems to identify that media fairly well.

I seriously doubt that the author of this list has personally tested all the media in a variety of burners, so take it with a gran of salt.

The ID AN31 or AN32 or any ANx (x being a number) can be used by any manufacturer of discs. The drive will write those discs with the default standart strategy. So quality wont be good.

Well said jsl and rdgrimes.
It really irks me when some users swear by this silly list as some type of authoritative quality ranking.
I’ve gotten into a debate on another forum over CMC media (excellent in NEC burners) and Optodisc DVD+R (which is sometimes good!) just because it is listed as “garbage” in this guys list…

You always have to take these subjective opinions with a grain of salt, particularly because some media work great in some burners and create nothing but coasters in other brands.

I take exception to this person’s rating of ricohjpn as 2nd class media. If there’s one media out there that works very well in almost every make of DVD burner, it’s 4x +R ricohjpnr01

In my opinion, of course… :bigsmile:

i have no idea what’s everyone’s problem with Optodisc +Rs - i have this 4x media burning at 8x with <1 avg. PI most of the time. I had more failures with MCC/Ricoh/Ritek media, and I burnt less of these.