[moved]Ritek DVD+R -- did I buy crap?

Arita DVD+R 8x, manufacturer Ritek R03
Plextor Px-712a firmware 1.07 burnt at 4x speed (8x = many POFs)

Your opinion please: how good/bad are these media? My purpose is long-term data storage.
I saw they were Ritek and bought them, before doing more research and finding out there is Ritek A and B-grade media… :doh:

• Plextools: SUM1 & SUM8 tests @accuracy: good
  • Nero DVDspeed: read speed test

SUM8 TEST:

PIE        POE        POF
   Avg      31.15          -          -
   Max         65          -          -
 Total     553252          -          0

SUM1 TEST:

PIF        POE        POF
   Avg       0.04          -          -
   Max          3          -          -
 Total       4992          -          0

TRANSFER TEST:

5000 PIFs for instance, is that something to worry about?

Anyone? :slight_smile:

The total PIF is a little high, but the max of 3 PIF is below the acceptable level of 4. Ritek has gone down in quality the past year so everyone here has decided to avoid it for archival purposes. I don’t use any Ritek discs myself, but with its reputation right now as landfill material I would only use it to give to friends and family and not use it for backup purposes.

Then again people please do not forget that Arrita is Ritek’s B-brand don’t expect much from this.

Arita? Yes, you bought crap.

If you want long-term data storage, you’ll have to buy Taiyo Yuden or at least find some a store that has sold consistently good batches of Verbatims. Anything in the Ritek DVD media line is suspect these days, whether R03 or G05, especially. Really, there’s nothing 'Ritek" that would be considered ‘grade A,’ especially not by the typical burn quality scans for DVD media. The fact you have a solid block of PIF errors means that was a burn to be ‘worried’ about, as that’s a tell-tale sign the media is sub-par. Also, in my experience, if you do a burn quality scan and get > 2000 PIF with a lot of PIF clumping (as in your 5k PIF scan), I’d say it’s telling your either the media is low quality or even perhaps the write strat for that media your burner has doesn’t cut it. In this case, though, it’s due to the low-quality Ritek (Arita).

Ouch :slight_smile: … anyway, thank you guys for your replies!

I’m sorry to say but TY is not as gold as you think seeing the ammount of bonding problems. (Which can decrease lifetime. Or can mean problems directly (in the really worse situation!)

Really, there’s nothing 'Ritek" that would be considered ‘grade A,’ especially not by the typical burn quality scans for DVD media. The fact you have a solid block of PIF errors means that was a burn to be ‘worried’ about, as that’s a tell-tale sign the media is sub-par. Also, in my experience, if you do a burn quality scan and get > 2000 PIF with a lot of PIF clumping (as in your 5k PIF scan), I’d say it’s telling your either the media is low quality or even perhaps the write strat for that media your burner has doesn’t cut it. In this case, though, it’s due to the low-quality Ritek (Arita).

You forget a few things here. A -burn quality is not only based on disc quality but also about compatability and incase of Ritek there are also compatability issues which might lead to less good performance.
There is Ritek media you can consider “grade A”

Also what is grade A. That’s allways a big question because for some manufacturers this means just no visible defects. (The media still might be problematic but as long as it’s doesn’t show defects you can directly see it’s grade A !)
I have to say I had some good results with RitekR03 but all A-grade media.*
(Used as second disc. (I allways burn stuff double and important stuff triple these days on disc’s ussing different technologies.)

• note so far RitekR03 A-grade seems to give me the lowest error of the 8x media I used so far on 4x on my pioneer 106d. (Yes the error levels are lower as 8x TY or MCC or TDK ! (4x MCC and 4x +R TY however outperform the RitekR03 media)

Still because of the G05 problems at this time I wouldn’t recommend R03 as a single disc archiving sollution.
But for quick storage or handing out I would recommend RitekR03 (A-grade) as a ussable disc.()
(
) That is if your drive also supports them well !

I suppose I should have qualified my post with “it depends on where you live,” as I know you are in Europe, where some Ritek is higher “quality,” although I’ve yet to see any Ritek media sold in the U.S. where I am that has ever been anything but fit for the landfill. Add to that, Ritek offers no warranty whatsoever on media here (not even a 1-year warranty like TDK whose MIT is CMC). The Riteks sold here certainly aren’t grade “A.” When I was considering RitekR03, and Amazon.com had a sale on it, I read the reviews there, and the about 5-6 that really backing up their poor results with PIE/PIF examples or something quantifiable all agreed on incredibly poor Ritek quality since 2005.

Certainly Ritek could be used for temporary data storage–but if it fails in 6 mos.-1 year, that’s wasted money for me, as I’ll only have to buy higher quality media, then reburn it. The Ritek ‘quality’ is so bad here in the U.S. that I feel badly even giving movies I’d burned to RitekG05, because 75% if those media will fail.

On the other hand, I have yet to have the same trouble with TDK (Ritek) CD-R media. I’ve had the occasional 1 or 2 fail, but that was because the NTI Backup Now! software overburned the CD media, and although it was stable for 6 months, it failed because of the overburn. I’ve not had any problems with CD-R Ritek media in that TDK batch from 2001–again, provided I keep the data to 700 mb or slightly less.

If you get good Ritek media in the form of Traxdata or whatever in Europe, then that is wonderful. However, no Ritek DVD media here in the U.S. is considered “A” grade by its high PIF error rates, nor 1-year or less longevity. :doh: