[moved] NEC ND-3500AG used to burn TDK +R disc at 12x now only at 4X

vbimport

HI all. I’ve got a problem that’s driviving me crazy and couldn’t seem to find a previous answer for in your forums. I built a new system a few months ago with with a NEC 3500AG Drive as my main DVD Burner.

My system consist of: Soyo Dragon 2 main board (i865PE Chipset), P4 3.2 Prescott CPU, 1 Gig PC3200 Dual Channel DDR memory, Nvidia FX 5200 Video card, Maxtor 250 GB SATA Hard Drive (plugged into 1st SATA connector), Hauppauge WinTV250 TV Caputure Card, NEC 3500AG DVD_RW drive (master and only drive in Primary IDE channel), Maddog 8X DVD_RW (rebranded NEC 2500A? master and only drive in Secondary IDE Channel), Windows XP pro w/SP2, Nero Ultra 6.3

When I first started burning DVDs, 3500AG drive would burn TDK DVD+R 4X disk at 12X :). Unfortunatly I blew out my motherboard trying to get my firewire card to work :sad: I rebuilt the system using an Intel i865PERLL Mainboard and now the 3500AG only burns the same blanks at 4X speed :frowning:

The Maddog drive was burning the 4X disk at 6x now only burns at 2.5x.

Is there something I missed doing in setting up my new board, or was I just lucky the first time around. Any help would be greatly appreciated :bow:

Get a program called DVDInfo and see what the supported write speeds are for those media.

What about DMA after installing new motherboard.

Check that all drives have DMA enabled.

Moved to NEC forum.

I will try DVDinfo to check the media, however the media from same spindle was burning at 12X. Could DVD Shrink and/or Nero report an inaccurate burn rate.

All drives are DMA enabled.

Make sure DMA is also enabled in your m/board BIOS, even if they are reported as DMA mode 2 in Windows.

I Checked the DMA on the m/board, and it is set to DMA mode 2.

I’ve got a 12X Artec dirve in another machine that burns the 4X TDK blanks at 8X. I think I will try swapping out the drives to see how they perform in the other machines.