[moved] Macinstosh DVD R/RW Zone help

vbimport

:confused: Hi my girlfriend studies at a design university that only uses macs. I have brought her a mac for her 21st bday. Most the PC design packages are backwards compatible with the mac but she does have issues with fonts and a few of the programs so this was a necessary evil… not that i know anything about macs… Anyway… I went to run a dvd in the dvd player and it asks which zone i want to play it in… it says i only have 5 gos at choosing the zone before it becomes permanent and i cant go back. Is there anyway around this :confused:

Unfortunately, getting past region (zone) protections on Macs is more difficult than on PCs, partly because of the Mac architecture and also because of there being less unofficial support for Macs.

1/ What is the drive? There have been a number of different drives reported on Macs, and it’s just luck of the draw which one came with that particular Mac. System Profiler should tell you the drive ID. Some drives (like Pioneer 106/7/8 and some others) you can make region-free on the Mac directly. Some drives drives (like Sony ones and some others) you will have to remove from the Mac and hook up to a PC to remove the region protection and then hook it back up to the Mac once the protection is gone. And with some drives (like Pioneer 109 and some others), you’re just out of luck.

2/ There is a forum dedicated to region-free on Macs at rpc1.org. You may wish to check it out: http://forum.rpc1.org/viewforum.php?f=30

3/ There’s a general page about region-free stuff here: http://xvi.rpc1.org/rpc1regions.html

Thanks alot for the informative reply. Im at work now but i will be back home shortly and i will check the system profiler.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Ok no one seems to know so far on the provided mac forums…: heres my stats:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K04L:

Firmware Revision: D441
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2000 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: No

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: iMac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac8,2
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Is this supported firmware they seem to be talking about.

Ok no one seems to know so far on the provided mac forums.

Maybe you should’ve used the search function there instead. :stuck_out_tongue: Anyway, doing a search for “DVR-K04” over at rpc1.org, it seems that there are already a few threads about it, and they all say that it is currently not possible to make the K04 region free.

Unfortunately, this means that there is nothing that you can do to get around this problem except to wait and hope that maybe some day someone will patch a K04 firmware. :frowning:

Yea i got a reply im just impatient sorry. I did read around a-bit but my firmware version is different to anyone elses so thats why i was asking. I am providing them with some information on this revision and they will look into it. Thanks alot for your help code65536 it really helped.