[moved] LITEON LVW 5001 DVD-Recorder

vbimport

As the LVW 5001 is a home (not a PC) DVD-recorder
I’m not sure whether this is the right forum :wink:

But OK, here’s my question:
Are there any experiences about the quality and media compatibility
of this LiteOn DVD-Recorder?

I know that LiteOn manufactures high quality CD and DVD drives
for computers. So there should be some technology transfer.

But the reviews of the LVW 5001 I’ve read so far in German magazines
have been rather negative in almost all aspects :confused:

I don’t give too much on these reviews and would prefer some
first-hand experiences from the users of this forum :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.liteonit.com/DC/english/lvw_5001_2.htm
The purchase price will be €299 or less.

Thanx in advance,
Andy :smiley:

AFAIK with the latest firmware it has very good features. The internal DVD recorder can be a 401s or 411s drive, although even if the last one is used you can’t burn to DVD-R media (the 5005 model will have support for DVD-R recording). The media compatibility is not bad, but with a newer firmware it will be improved (you have to wait until they add the latest changes).

But IMHO you should wait for the LVW-5005 which will be released soon, and then you can use the cheaper DVD-R media.
Unless you are a +R/W fan(atic) :bigsmile:

Thanx for your reply :slight_smile:

And yes, I’m a DVD+ fan(atic) :bigsmile:

Andy

Originally posted by WebTech Inc
[B]Thanx for your reply :slight_smile:

And yes, I’m a DVD+ fan(atic) :bigsmile:

Andy [/B]

Just like me :bigsmile: I prefer the +R format, but unfortunately they’re more expensive and here in Portugal I can notice that the +R stocks on the stores are lowering, some stores don’t even sell +R media anymore :eek:

In that case you can buy the 5001 for sure, and don’t forget to update the firmware, as Lite-On techs are informed of the user’s complaints and are fixing all the known bugs :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Lvsitano
Just like me :bigsmile: I prefer the +R format, but unfortunately they’re more expensive and here in Portugal I can notice that the +R stocks on the stores are lowering, some stores don’t even sell +R media anymore :eek:

Here in Germany DVD+R media is widely available,
but it’s getting more and more difficult to find high quality DVD+Rs.

… mostly a lot of “re-badged no-name” DVD+R media :confused:

At least you have many media to choose, but here the -R is getting stronger, because Portugal is a poor country, and -R media is cheaper than +R.
If you find Melody +R media you can buy it, as the 5001 recorder has been tested with it.

Originally posted by Lvsitano
If you find Melody +R media you can buy it, as the 5001 recorder has been tested with it.

Thanx for the tip :slight_smile:

Who is the manufacturer of Melody DVDs?
I’ve never seen them in a shop so far :confused:

I plan to use Imation DVD+R 2.4x with RICOHJPN MID-code and
Verbatim DLP DVD+R 2.4x “Made in Singapore” with the MMC MID-code.
A good idea? :confused:

For anyone it maybe helpful to there is a
mostly offical lite-on forum just for lvw-5001 as well as lvw-2001-2002 and I guess the 5005 when it release. Lite-on is setting up a new server to host the forum so u may not get to it right away but I will post temp link that should patch you thru or hold the forum link if not that you can kick on.

http://www.icdbuilder.com/

BTW Skyknight who will not say if he is lite-on or not says there will be new firmware next week for the 5001 and his inside info pretty much is always correct

A very interesting forum link :bigsmile:

The new firmware for the LVW 5001 would be fine
as all drives that are for sale in the shops at the moment
are manufactured in October and November 2003
and most likely have the first firmware installed.

Can I manually replace the internal drive of 5001 with some newer models? 401/411 are no longer available and my laser is dying.