[moved] Did LiteOn pull a fast one? + Saving Bad Burn

vbimport

I had this issue earlier when I couldn’t get any software updates to my 5005 because the serial number was not accepted at their website. It had the format of the 5001 model which is different than the format for the 5005. Tech rep said that wasn’t an issue and their second level sent me an update via email.

So, upgrade installed and a few weeks later the website accepted my serial number for update #2.

I just finished using Decrypter to rip a self burned dvd-rw and it reports my unit as a 5001 !!!

So==I’m wondering if they jerryrigged this thing because so far I haven’t found a single brand of DVD=RW that works.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Trying to save a failed dvd burn, my computer wont read the disk at all. Decrypter wont extract the file at all, but IsoBuster would copy the disk as one big 4.1GB file-with no breaks. The file would not open because of some message. I used Chainsaw to break it up into 1GB chunks and Chunk 2-3-4 would play !!! I then chunked up chunk one and after the first chunk, they would play too. I’ve got a very nice recovery going here. Going to look thru my collection of coasters.

Cheers, bobbo.

hmmm. sounds weird about the update taking it to a 5001. What was the serial number for the 5005 before and after the update that took it to a 5001.

Very interesting about the recovery operation you got going. Decrypter probably coudln’t read the dvd because of a crc error, I tried ISO buster on a unfinalized dvd from the 5005 and it got an Open session folder with 3 tracks that ISO buster pulled out of it. I couldn’t get anything to do anything with the tao files tho. Keep us posted.

Was the DVD finalized in the 5005? Would the 5005 play it?

Keep us posted :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=jm1647]hmmm. sounds weird about the update taking it to a 5001. What was the serial number for the 5005 before and after the update that took it to a 5001.////The serial number hasn’t changed at all. The Liteon website changed and now accepts my serial number without complaint.==If I hadn’t tried to update my software as soon as I got the unit, I would have never noticed this.

Very interesting about the recovery operation you got going. Decrypter probably coudln’t read the dvd because of a crc error, I tried ISO buster on a unfinalized dvd from the 5005 and it got an Open session folder with 3 tracks that ISO buster pulled out of it. I couldn’t get anything to do anything with the tao files tho. Keep us posted.////There were crc errors, can’t remember if it was from Decrypter or just in the drag and drop copy attempt==or probably in both programs. As stated, I couldn’t do anything with the tao files either==UNTIL I chopped off the first 5 minutes of the file using Chainsaw. I’m now looking for a program that will direct cut a file without having to chop it up like chainsaw does==just want to cut off the first one minute of a file until it works.

Was the DVD finalized in the 5005? Would the 5005 play it?/// The dvd burn was toast==I now have the recovered files on my computer’s harddrive waiting to make a new dvd. I’m pretty sure the above experience was using a rewriteable disk.

Keep us posted///will do.==and what if any dvd rewriteables have you found to work with your 5005 unit?? Maxell work well with my 5045 and not at all with my 5005 or 5001==whatever it actually is. ((I might spend more time on this issue just because of the rewriteable issue. I was satisfied it was a 5005 box because it has a fan==but maybe that is just the box and I got “updated” 5001 innards===smile!===still an excellent picture when it works))

The +rw I used were Memorex.

Crazy thing still, about the model change from 5005 to 5001, but as you said it’s working ! It probaly was the firmware they gave you to use from second level support.

Chainsaw - did it convert the tao to vob’s or something. What did you use to play them?

Thanks and again keep us posted !

The +rw I used were Memorex.///They work just fine on my 5045 but won’t work at all on my 5005/1. Right now Maxwell and TdK might record once or twice and then they will only be seen as a data disk. I think I can recover the recorders with decrypter and erase and use them again but not positive about that yet. Still testing.

Crazy thing still, about the model change from 5005 to 5001, but as you said it’s working ! It probaly was the firmware they gave you to use from second level support.

Chainsaw - did it convert the tao to vob’s or something. What did you use to play them?///Chainsaw (free via google) turns them into “chunk” files but the extension can be changed to whatever you like and I have played them in windows media player, Dr Divx player, and windvd. Does that make them a “standard” avi file or a standard mpeg file? I haven’t edited them yet but I don’t expect any problems there as they play great==fast forward and reverse without hesitation. (I use womble vcr for editing which is the best I have found. Windvd edits “fairly well” but then reencodes the files which degrades the quality. Womble does not reencode making for quick edits and the original Liteon quality is retained.)

Thanks and again keep us posted./// Well, I forget what update I used on my Liteon 5005 so I went to the site and downloaded the current update and burned an install disk. The Liteon won’t accept it==says it is a data disk rather than accept it and update. If that is “error code” for please don’t try to reinstall this update, that will be great. You know==if all I have to do to make the rewriteables work is run the disks through 5 different programs on my computer, does that make the liteon “work?” No, its my computer and the software that is working. The Liteon is broken!!!///bobbo.

leaglebob:

Usually when I have run into a “data disk” message on FW updates it has been one of three things.

1). I have made a “bad” FW update CD.
2). My 5005 is being stubborn and after I “cycle it through” one or two “remove the disk, turn off the machine, turn on the machine and reinsert the disk” cycles, it finally reads it. Or
3). The machine recognizes the FW file on the disk as “improper” or “incompatible” with my serial number. (Note: “improper” can mean an older version than what has been installed)

Given your “serial number issues” I suspect reason #3 is the culprit. Are you sure that the latest file you downloaded from the website is “newer” than the one on your machine? Try posting the file names of the unzipped files for the FW that you received via e-mail and the one you downloaded and let’s see if that tells us anything.

I agree with your assertion that your Liteon is not behaving properly. You have had to find a “workaround”. For this to be “good”, Liteon should print on the box of each machine a warning such as:

“WARNING: FOR THIS MACHINE TO WORK PROPERLY YOU MUST OWN A COMPUTER AND HAVE A FULL SUITE OF DVD EDITING, DECRYPTING, DISK BURNING AND RE-AUTHORING SOFTWARE.”

I don’t believe I saw that anywhere in the manual.

Is your machine still within warranty? If so, why not just return it and let Liteon clean up their own mess.

Unwired===I am “afraid” to return this 5005/1 machine. What it is willing to do it does very well. It will burn a tv quality image at the 6.3 hour setting which cannot be matched by any other capture hardware I have tested ((at the SAME settings)). As long as I don’t take the TY write once media out of the machine–it works perfectly. I have read too many posts here and elsewhere about green tints and synch problems that I have none of. So—I’m afraid any replacement machine will just present its own batch of problems. Most of my coasters have been caused by trying to make the machine work in a way it should but won’t and I’m coming to know it after 400 good burns over about 6 different media.

and I have just used one maxell rewrite disk (out of 4 tested so far) that actually is working on its third cycle of burn and reuse. Progress is being made==slow, hard slog that it is.

I did redownload and reburn the current update and I did recycle the unit it but only 1 or 2 times. I forgot to turn off the machine for 10 minutes and swing a dead cat around my head while chanting and facing north. I will give that a try.

Wouldn’t it be nice if the vendors would come clean with what it takes to actually make their system work? but then the disk that came with the machine couldn’t be read so that was a clue right there.

I would post my original update package from Liteon but I had a pc system crash right after that which is why I don’t have that information. Partition Magic worked well the first two times but the third time it decided to resize and partially hide all my harddrives, not just the requested action. So–I’ll “never” use partitition hardware again. Easier to f-disk and restore backup images.

Thanks for your humor==it helps for mental health and knowledge as well. We aren’t alone in our travails. ///bobbo.

leaglebob:

Man, I never thought about swinging a dead cat around my head while chanting and facing north. I tried juggling two live cats while contemplating the size of the universe dressed in a clown suit. Now I know where I went wrong. Thanks for the advice! :bow:

Humor is not only a wonderful thing, it is necessary when dealing with Liteon. Each machine seems to have its own personality. So I understand your concern about returning the machine and ending up with something even worse. Like you I have not had many problems. Just irritants. And when the Liteon works as advertised it does a remarkable job.

Good luck with your RW media search. Hopefully you will find one that your machine likes and can “make nice” with.

>>>…the size of the universe dressed in a clown suit.<<<

I think the Universe would be the same size, but that would be one BIG clown suit!

>>>Humor is not only a wonderful thing, it is necessary when dealing with Liteon. Each machine seems to have its own personality.<<<

So VERY true!

>> So I understand your concern about returning the machine and ending up with something even worse. Like you I have not had many problems. Just irritants. And when the Liteon works as advertised it does a remarkable job.<<

Amen!

>>>Good luck with your RW media search. Hopefully you will find one that your machine likes and can “make nice” with.<<<

I’ve just discovered that my 5005 LOVES the Imation +RW. Bought them on sale at Office Max this week. Man! What a difference. I had been using Fuji (RICOHJPN) which were “fine”, until I got a bad batch. Thought I’d try the Imations because they were on sale. The Recordings are clearly superior, almost like an upgrade.

(FYI my 5005 is a 3hr and Macrovision hacked 0098-G2BD)

Yes Imation and Verbatim RW get good reviews but I haven’t been able to find them except by mail from the UK==why does the UK seem to have “everything?”

Office Max is within walking distance. I’m leaving now–and yes, that is the sound of the universe laughing at us.///bobbo.

re Imation
try Sam’s Club and/or Walmart

Going back to an earlier point the fw upgrade did not change your unit from 5005 to 5001, The 5005 and others evolved from the 5001 and this is reflected in the info contained in the firmware and some common components.

Hello Shaun: (Hey–neat how that works!!)

I believe what you say is true “almost” all the time. Right now my gigabyte k8sn-939 board gets reported as something else==but it works so I don’t care.

The Liteon 5005/1 however did not work on day one and is not working now and I gotta ask why.

Liteon Tech Support level two doesn’t get dogmatic about it one way or the other which I find refreshing and they took my serial number and are mailing me an update that is supposed to work.

With 90% of stuff built in China and with whatever goes on in those unregulated work shops staying there, “who knows”?

I could return this machine to the seller, but I will keep it as even with its faults, it makes good burns if I work with it AND out of 29 dvd=rw’s I have tested, I found ONE Maxell disk (just one disk==not the brand) that works on my unit. fyi==all the disks work in my 5045.

That old saying about giving me the grace to accept what I can’t change is going thru my head right now.///bobbo.

PS–IsoBuster is giving me excellent email support right now saying it is common for it to slow down when it hits a bad part of a disk, this is not hanging up as it is working on the part of the disk that makes it unreadable by most other programs. Filling with zero’s or skipping are both good alternatives and just let isobuster run until it finishes. I did make another bad disk recovery using this technique last night but the sound/synch was WAY off on the last third of the recovery===still got 2/3. So, I’m “happy.”

Hmmm…I have a liteon DVD drive…haven’t got around to installing it on the computer yet, life has been very hectic for the last week or two.
Hoping I don’t have strife with it. Being a complete beginner with DVD’s, I approach the field with some trepidation. I am passably computer savvy, but video is terra incognita for me.
At least now, if the excrement contacts the rotary atmospheric turbulator, I know where to come for help!.

Bennath,

Kathryn