Mouthing off to a Judge (Bad Idea)

vbimport

//youtu.be/xC2fyCTkD-o

You’re right a bad idea. I bet she doesn’t serve the 300 days.
I’m still opposed to video in a court room.

I sure wanted to tell a judge off when she found me guilty of a seat belt violation.
Which in my case was wearing the shoulder harness what the officer considered too loose. The lap section was buckled in front of me & snug enough .
I don’t remember the exact wording of the Texas seatbelt law but it says approximately a person has to be sufficiently restrained by the seatbelt system.
However there is an exception which the judge wouldn’t consider.
A person is supposed to be able to wear the seatbelt “as designed by the manufacturer”.On the car I was in Ford designed a “ratchet” mechanism which allows the shoulder harness to be adjusted to the tension wanted. In my case this was very loose. When this 1980 Ford was manufactured there were no states with seatbelt laws. The only law on seatbelts was manufacturers had to install them.
So I did & still think the judge in my case was wrong & needed to be told off.
The difference is that I was smart enough not to.

I fought the law and the law won- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPXnoLAEUSQ

I hear you cholla, I was in a similar situation, I had just got done with a doctors visit and was parked on private property in a parking space, I was letting my car warm up because it was winter time, and I decided to call my son and let him know how the doctors visit went. So while sitting in my vehicle I called my son on my cell phone, mind you I was still parked in the parking lot of the doctors office. All of a sudden a Police car blocked me in from backing out and came over to the window of my car. He asked for my DL, Reg, and Insurance card. I asked had I done something wrong? He told me to stay in the car and keep my hand on the steering wheel. He came back with a summons for talking on the cell phone while driving. I didn’t move the car, I was still in the parking lot. I asked him how this could happen, and he brashly told me , if my ignition was on, the car is considered moving. He also told me that had I been drinking in the same situation I would have been taken into custody for a DWI. My car was parked on private property. The cell phone ticket was 130.00, I could have hired an attorney for 500.00 to defend me, but I was told I still would have lost. :doh:

There’s something wrong with the system when the vanity of a judge is more important than the health of victims of physical violence.

Just by mouthing off a few times to a judge this woman is jailed for as long as the maximum sentence she would have got for physical violence against two people.

Just because the judge has power doesn’t mean that he should abuse it.

alan in Texas there is no such offense for cell phones.
I would like some stricter laws on cell phone use here.
So far it is up to cities to create an ordinance .
There is no state law for cell phones.
My city has an ordinance but it is almost never enforced.
I assume that because I’m always seeing people driving & talking or even texting.
If tickets were being issued I think I would see a lot less.

Now as they say . The rest of the story.
In Texas they won’t even issue a ticket for a wreck in a parking lot.
So definitely no cell phone tickets in a parking lot.
I think the least law a person might be ticketed for on private property would be “disturbing the peace” or “public intoxication”.
I don’t know for sure but I don’t think even a DWI would ever be issued.
I think it would go to the public intoxication instead.

On my ticket I fought it myself & this only cost my time & an additional $5.00 over what it would have cost if I just went in & paid it. So at least I cost the city some judge,prosecutor, & cop time .
Which incidentally my fine was also $130.00 .

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2739493]There’s something wrong with the system when the vanity of a judge is more important than the health of victims of physical violence.

Just by mouthing off a few times to a judge this woman is jailed for as long as the maximum sentence she would have got for physical violence against two people.

Just because the judge has power doesn’t mean that he should abuse it.[/QUOTE]
This is common place where I live Roar, it happens all the time, the theory is that they get 3 meals a day, free health insurance and TV and recreation in jail, that girl had no home to go back to so maybe she got a free year on the system?

That’s crazy about the phone penalty, seems like the cop is trying to meet a quota or gets paid for each penalty it issues. In Ireland, I don’t think any road rules apply when the vehicle is on private property. For phone use, I think just being safely pulled in is fine with the engine running. From what I recall the amount of penalty issues for mobile use here is the next after speeding, so they are rather strict here.

In the UK the law concerning mobile phones and driving is pretty much the same as described by alan1476. You can be charged if you are stationary using the phone, but the engine is still running. I believe that is because it does not meet the legal definition of being “parked”, which requires the engine to be turned off.

I am old enough to remember when seat belt went into cars and our government told us that wearing them was voluntary. They said they were not going to force us to wear them. Then they came out and said that if they stopped you for something else then they could write you a ticket for not wearing a seat belt. The they changed it so if they see you not wearing a seat belt they can stop you and fine you. I know a person who had to pay 200 dollars for not wearing a seat belt. Now it is just another way for cities to make money. Funny thing is that in this state a person can ride a motorcycle without a helmet and it is legal,. but drive a car without your seat belt buckled you get a ticket.