Motherboards? what is a good choice please help

guys please help i am trying to buy a new mobo while they are doing xmas sales this is my first build and i want to use a i5 intel cpu with the build i have a western digital 1 tb 64mbs hdd a seasonic 650 watt psu a atx roswell challenger case and a zotact gtx 460 nvidia gpu . i would like the mobo to be sli and have a good sound chip i also need help with ram since i don’t have any yet here are some i looked at which do you thing is best or do you suggest somethin else the price for the mobo i have to spend is 150. to 200.00 us thanks for your help {1} MSI P55-GD65 USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard {2} MSI P55A-GD55 P55 LGA1156 ATX DDR3 2xPCIe16 3xPCIe1 2XPCI SLI CrossFireX SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard please if you know of something better for the money let me know and any thoughts you have on ram would be good to i want to buy very sooon

Hey spboyd1, have your bought the CPU yet? I ask because Intel is releasing new CPU’s in the next month (begining of January). They will be different MB’s too, actually if you buy a current i5 and a 1156 MB they will not make future cpu’s to fit that MB!

The new intel stuff is going to use a new socket, 1155 and pricing will be very good. Also note if you want to OC the new intel stuff coming out you need to get a cpu with a ‘k’ at the end of the model number. Personally I’m going for a 2500k.

thanks for the heads up so i guess that i will need a different mobo than the ones out now? the new i5 with the k is what i will look for and now a mobo with sli and a good sound chip i hope i can use the other stuff that i have with the new set up

Yes you will need a socket 1155 MB not the current socket 1156!
Your DDR3 memory is still good and PSU is still good. As well as video card.

You can view them they are already on the web but not in many US stores yet. just search ‘1155 motherboard’. The only sucky thing about socket 1155 is the PCIex16 slots for video cards, most boards are going to come with 16x and a 4x slot. You will want to find a board that is 8x and 8x when in sli/crossfire modes. At least thats what I’m going to do is look for an 8x/8x board. 8x really has no performance lose over the 16x slot, because their the latest generation and already very high bandwidth. The other option is to get a 1155 board with and additional video chip on the MB I forget what its called but it allows 1155 boards to use more 16x slots, but at the cost of added latency on the video cards. For what I’ve read an 8x/8x mb will be slightly faster than an 1155 motherboard with those extra card slots (and extra chip on the MB).

wow you really know this stuff i think i will just follow you with my purchase so let me know what you gey

My personal preference on MoBo’s is to intel based MoBo’s and further to AVOID any MoBo that uses an AMI bios as every MoBo I’ve had with an AMI bios has given me problems.

As a Note every AMD based MoBo I’ve ever seen had an AMI bios, Coincidence? I think not…

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2565383]My personal preference on MoBo’s is to intel based MoBo’s and further to AVOID any MoBo that uses an AMI bios as every MoBo I’ve had with an AMI bios has given me problems.

As a Note every AMD based MoBo I’ve ever seen had an AMI bios, Coincidence? I think not…[/QUOTE]

Actually, almost all Intel-based mobos use an AMI BIOS nowadays. If one must avoid the AMI BIOS, this would completely limit the buyer to Gigabyte and Intel-branded mobos. (Gigabyte is now the only mobo manufacturer to continue to use an Award BIOS, whose support is now discontinued by Phoenix Technologies as “legacy” – while Intel-branded mobos use Intel’s own BIOS.)

[QUOTE=RJL65;2565431]Actually, almost all Intel-based mobos use an AMI BIOS nowadays. If one must avoid the AMI BIOS, this would completely limit the buyer to Gigabyte and Intel-branded mobos. (Gigabyte is now the only mobo manufacturer to continue to use an Award BIOS, whose support is now discontinued by Phoenix Technologies as “legacy” – while Intel-branded mobos use Intel’s own BIOS.)[/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention that eVGA also uses a Phoenix-Award BIOS.

Marvelous, wonderful…

I guess I can HOPE they corrected the problems they’ve had in the past.

AD

thanks guys for the feed back but with the thought of new cpu’s and mobo’ s out i am more lost than ever i want to upgrade to a better rig with the parts i have listed above but what to buy what to buy my old dell 410 is not able to keep up with today’s tech or games 4 one it only has a 2.13 dual processor and i can’t even use windows 7 on it so should i wait for the new cpu’s and mobo since i really do need to update or would the i5 or 17 cpu’s and todays mobo’s be good enought and keep me runnig for a couple of years eric93se gave me some thoughts but i still need more suggestions on the matter