Motherboard for video editing

Wow…you all are awsome with your suggestions!!! I am building a new computer for video editing. I have purchased Premeire Pro 2.0 (upgrading from 1.5) and it requires a P4 minimum. My current/old system is an ABIT dual P3-Rambus-128 meg video and runs GREAT!!! I have a new case-newer video card (AGP) and HD’s out the yang as well as 21" flat panel and Benq burner. I am looking for something stable-good processing for rendering-and onboard firewire/sata. I like my Abit but I’m wiling to try a different brand. I would even consider something used or not the “latest and greatest”.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!!

This site rocks!!!

You definitely want dual core, or more. The Athlons are a great value.

So what are you looking to do, a new system using your old AGP card, HDD’s and monitor?

MB’s that use AGP graphics cards tend to use older DDR memory, which is more expensive then the currently dirt cheap DDR2 memory. Your best bet would be to get an inexpensive PCI x16 video card with lets say an intel e2140 or e2160 cpu, with 2 gigs of DDR2 memory.

Whats your budget?

How does this sound:

Gigabyte 690G MB onboard graphiscs onboard firewire 80 bucks, free shipping. It has onboard graphics, but in the future you can get a current PCI x16 graphics card.

AMD Brisbane dual core 4000+ cpu 66 bucks, free shipping.

2 gigs Crucial DDR2 667MHz RAM 28 bucks after rebate, 5 shipping.

Total 180 bucks.

Since its integrated graphics I would highly recommend 1.8V (stock voltage) ram.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146599
//Danne

My budget is say $500 or less. I tend to hold onto my computer as long as it works ok so I want something that will last (hopefully). I would probally get a new video card right away because I really benifit from decent graphics when editing. I like the gigabyte solution. I’m going to look at Adobe’s site to see which PCIx video cards they like/support and maybe go with that along with the gigabyte mobo. I will get a sata drive as my primary. I store my video editing scratch on external drives so that’s taken care of.

Does Gigabyte have a decent rep? I know no brand is perfect but it would be nice to hear good things. That’s how I selected my Abit years ago.

Thanks Again!!!

Yup Gigabyte is excellent, Asus, DFI, all top tier.

Well since your willing to spend a couple dollars, then you can get a board that doesn’t use integrated graphics. But I found few that have firewire but don’t have SLI, so the boards that have the integrated graphics are still the best choice.

AMD 4400+ dual core cpu 85, free shipping. A little faster than the previous one.

Gigabyte 690G, with firewire, a little nicer than the previous one suggested. This has integrated graphics, that you can just disable in the bios and run a video card.

Crucial Ballistics 667MHz ram 2 gigs 28 after rebate.

Powercolor 2600XT 512mb video card 105 after rebate, free ship. This is plenty powerful for what your doing.

You’ll need a new PSU as well. Seasonic makes the best 380 watts is more than enough. 88 bucks, free shipping.

Thats about 395 bucks. Throw in a 500 gig SATA HDD, for a 100 smackers and your set. Hitachi, Seagate, Samsung Spin point T, and RE2 are all good.

It’s a good combo, combine that with an ATi Radeon HD 3***-card later on and you have a very good and fast combo for the price.
You’ll also save a bit of money gettting the S2H which actually is a better board IMHO. This board has been given praises in its price range and there’s no need to pay a higher price for the S3H.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128056

As for your Ballistix’s RAM Eric, have you actually comfirmed that it works on S3H since it runs at 2.2V.

As for video card I would actually wait a little for Radeon’s HD 3***-series since they’re a lot better than 2****-series.

As for PSU unless you have a good one I’d also suggest a Seasonic PSU but I’d recommend you to add 10 bucks and get a 430W which uses slightly better design (afaik) than 430W and the 430W is considered a very good PSU by for instance silentpcreview.com and they’re quite picky. :slight_smile:

Keep in mind that S2H [B]is[/B] a validated “solution” by AMD while S3H isn’t.
http://avs.amd.com/us-en/Home-Page/Best-of-Breed-Platform-Provide.aspx

//Danne

Man this is awesome getting such good info!!! Any thoughs on a similar mobo that was not micro. A few more slots would be nice.

That 2.2V rating is MAX not min, I don’t know why they don’t give a range, silly really. I don’t see people having as many problems with ram/MB compatability anymore. Usually if there is an issue, then booting with just one stick allows the opportunity to change the voltage and timmings in the bios.

He’s also not a gammer, so the need for a more expensive video card is unwarrented IMO. The 2600xt has plenty of power plus all the high def. video acceleration is there.

Thousands of people are using the S3H and I don’t see any issues, com’on Dizzy ‘valled’… really, lol. :wink:

TBH, He’s not running a power house system, 330 would be enough. But for 10 more, what the heck. :slight_smile:

There are people running SLI on 550 watts, with fast cards. Using quality PSU’s of course.

I checked the manufacturer site, the cpu is supported. The 667MHz ram they did not test but the did test the 800mhz and its good to go. Since the 667MHz ram has even tighter timmings 3-3-3-12 and the motherboard will default it to 5-5-5-15 the likely hood for compatability is even higher. Good to go :stuck_out_tongue:

Manufac site of MB

Looks like the rebate deal for the 667 ram is over with.

The Crucial DDR2-800 is 70, LINK The 667 crucial is 56 now and still a good deal.

There is also the Patriot extreme performance for 40 after rebate: LINK Its not on the supported list, but again, the manufacturer cannot test them all.

There are plenty of others to choose from.

Remember to use a quality surge supressor with your new system: Link

Eric,

No, 2.2V isnt stated “max” voltage.
It’s voltaged to achieve specs, I know a lot of boards that doesnt support anything else than what JEDEC says which is 1.8V and this is very true on motherboards using Intel chipsets with integrated video as an example hence why I’d rather be precautions. I’d say its not worth a gamble for the little extra performance it gives. You’ll end up with the same performance in the end since (+/- 1-3% or so) the Mushkin RAM use a faster bus speed.

You’ll surely see more than 2 GPUs in the 3***-series and they’re a lot better than 2***-series and to be honest I’d rather have a look at nVidia’s 8***-series if you must have a card right now. Video acceleration only occurs of specific decoders and encoders are used, which isnt very likely to happen.

Please explain why he should get S3H, S2H is certified and tested extensively and even AMD says it good and its cheaper. If you care about stability I’d highly advice you to follow that list. If you’ve been around for a while you know that there’s a lot of bad motherboards around even if its a lot better than with S939.

As for PSU, its better to have a “overpowered” PSU because its most likely to have a longer lifetime and there’s even a possibility that it’ll be used in a new build later on.
//Danne

Danne, the S3H clearly accepts the [B]2.2V[/B] Crucial Ballistic ram, Its in the [U]reccomended list from the manufac[/U]…Geeez.

The OP said he wants more expansion slots, so why would he want the S2H? He even said he doesn’t want a micro atx board. Who cares whether or not its a sanctioned design from AMD. Its a good board.

The OP is using a dual P3 system, that must be around 7 years old. I think the PS spec will change by the time this guy gets another PC.

You’ll surely see more than 2 GPUs in the 3***-series and they’re a lot better than 2***-series and to be honest I’d rather have a look at nVidia’s 8***-series if you must have a card right now. Video acceleration only occurs of specific decoders and encoders are used, which isnt very likely to happen.

I agree there will be more 3xxx series cards comming out. If he want to wait a few weeks/months then sure. Actually I think he should first run the system without a graphics card and see how the onboard graphics chip performs. Then later on he can get a newer video card.

Oh well… Do as you wish, If TS doesnt want a stable platform that’s been throughly tested fine with me, I dont care its not my money anyway. I fail to see what you want to add later on except for a DVB-card perhaps but that’s just me.
//Danne

Yep it will run at lower voltages just fine. Currently running my ballistix 8500 @ 1.95v @ 4 timings with no issues what so ever. See pic for JEDEC voltages and timings. I believe the 6400/800 sticks are the same voltages.:)[quote=eric93se;1941801]That 2.2V rating is MAX not min, I don’t know why they don’t give a range, silly really. I don’t see people having as many problems with ram/MB compatability anymore. Usually if there is an issue, then booting with just one stick allows the opportunity to change the voltage and timmings in the bios.[/quote]

Danne, we all still appreciate your opinion/discussion. :iagree:

lkaskel, If you want to see how the onboard graphics performs you then might want to spend a couple dollars more on a slightly faster CPU, AMD Brisbane 2.7GHz 120, free shipping.

If you want a video card now instead of later, then this Saphire radeon 2600xt 512mb card is a better choice, since you want to have as many availabe pci slots as possible. The one that I linked to before will probably take up a little more than one slot, making it impossible to install a card right next to it.

Still, 2.2V is tested voltaged at <insert frequency here> with timings <insert timgings here>, if it runs at 1.95V or whatever fine but you can be sure that you wont get an RMA for it if you get another pair that doesnt.
The pre-programmed SPDs are btw utterly slow at 1.8V.
//Danne