Motherboard & DDR memory

vbimport

I have never come across this strange problem…

I have got ASUS - A7 A266 socket a motherboard and 2 * 256mb DDR (pc2100 unbuffered)

I put just one ddr it works fine no problem at all. but if there are two ddr installed and it freezes or shows blue screen with message (some jarjons so i don’t know… what that means…)

I installed each memory one by one and each one works fine. mother board Bios is 1005.

Please help… i bought 2 ddr and cannot use one…

I read on Doom9 about a similar problem:

And, a few computer hardware news again. Finally after all these months the hardware I got is working as it’s supposed to. When I called the store and told them about my problem the only told me to call the $3/min helpline and so despite my dislike of these kind of rip-off services I called and guess what, took them like 2 questions to figure out what was wrong. It turns out that there’s an incompatibility between the board and the memory modules I had (or rather… the chips on the modules). It works if you have 1 module, but not if you have 2, though if you only run them at 200mhz it works just fine. So I went back to the store and got 2 new modules with other chips on them and now it works just fine.
Sounds a lot like your problem. I suggest you contact Doom9 or use his forum @ http://doom9.org

I’ve had NO END of problems with a mates A7A266.

Firstly are you using Micron/Crucial RAM??? if so, this may be a cause of the problem. some modules that they produce are not compatible…

Secondly, to alleviate this problem, try removing the “mystery jumper” which is beside the AGP, which allows more current to the RAM and may clear the problem.

so far I have had to replace 2 of these boards, but the guy at DABS.COM support assured me that they had sold at least 1000 boards, and only 4 had come back… a load of crapolio methinks… maybe third board lucky eh…

Yes I have got Cruicial memory but I am not sure what chip is based on…

By the way, I can’t find any mysterious jumper beside AGP port. Can you tell me where it is about? or what it is called…

Thanks

Hi…

mr_claypole I have found the jumper and did not do anything…

I think I will send e-mail to asus… and find out…

Thank you for your help…

I wouldnt hold your breath for an e-mail back from them with any use on… it took about 2 weeks and I got a reply from them saying I’d have to go back to the distie… arse.

oh, and BTW, the crucial memory is micron Ram on micron board…

if you look on www.deja.com , and do a seatch on a7a266 you will find plenty of articles on this…

Mr C