Motherboard/Boot

vbimport

Alright guys, got quite a confusing problem here.

I’l start with my PC specs:
CPU = AMD 64 x2 5000+ (2.6ghz)
GPU = nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS
RAM = 3GB 667Mhz made up of 2x 512mb and 1x 2gb
HDD = 7200RPM Sata II 120GB and a 320GB HDD
PSU = 400W

Right, i’ve just upgraded my motherboard from a Phoenix M2NS-NVM to an Asus M3N78-CM. I have all my hardware plugged in fine, when i connect the power cord to my PSU the LED on the motherboard shines green, i press the on switch to turn on my PC but nothing happens, no fans, nothing boots up, moniter stays off… Nothing. It feels almost like the power cable on my on/off switch isnt plugged into the motherboard correctly when i know it is.

The problem cant be my PSU because it worked perfectly on my old PC, I have also tried another PSU (250W), still nothing.

One possible cause that i highly doubt is the cause… is that i have only plugged in my powersw/ground cords into my motherboard from my on/off button, the reason i havent plugged in the cords for the other things (HDD LED, System Speaker… etc) is because they dont reach the position in the motherboard where they are suppose to go.

Any help will be greatly Appreciated. Thanks.

A 250W PSU probably is the issue :wink:
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2169234]A 250W PSU probably is the issue :wink:
//Danne[/QUOTE]

did u read what i said?
it dosent boot with a 250w OR a 400w PSU
:stuck_out_tongue:

Well, 250W aint going to cut it…
Have you tried barebone? CPU/Memory/Video?
Have you checked all connections?
Have you tried to reassemble everything?
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2169249]Well, 250W aint going to cut it…
Have you tried barebone? CPU/Memory/Video?
Have you checked all connections?
Have you tried to reassemble everything?
//Danne[/QUOTE]

forget the 250W PSU lol, my main PSU is 400W and thats what im using.
im kind of new to this stuff so, mind explaining what you mean by Barebone? and how do i check all connections? and yes i have reassembled everything about 3 times now.

Make sure you plugged the correct 4/8 pin connector in the MB. The design kinda sucks because people are still able to stuff a 6/8 pin PCIx16 connector into the 4/8 pin MB connector. Thats probably not your problem because you see the green light on the MB. but check anyway, also make sure all power connectors are fully inserted.

Since its a new MB, you might want to try booting it with just one stick of ram. Then you can either flash the latest bios or adjust the timmings and ram voltage.

right well, just tryed booting it with just the CPU, 1 ram stick, and 1 HDD, didnt work again.
My 4/8 pin connector is actualy a 2 pin connecter, the 2 pins are the powersw pin and the ground pin, they are the 2 pins that allow you to switch ur motherboard on from the on/off button (the 2 pins are definately plugged into their correct slots).
I dont have my other pins in because they dont reach their position in the motherboard by about 2cm’s. It should still boot with the 2 pins inserted, because the other pins only do things such as PowerLED or System Speakers.

i’m new and dumb at this !!! how do you ask a question ???

[QUOTE=barrywg498;2169336]i’m new and dumb at this !!! how do you ask a question ???[/QUOTE]

by making a new topic lol.

and please dont post in my thread with spam, thanks

Have you solved your boot issue yet

nope, its been 10 hours, and im thinking of taking out the TNT

I know it sounds odd but have you check the switch itself, as opposed to your connections?

[QUOTE=moodmonkii;2169408]I know it sounds odd but have you check the switch itself, as opposed to your connections?[/QUOTE]

yes

looking at the specs for your mobo, it appears to have onboard video, if this is true… try disconnecting everything, leaving only 1 stick of ram and running off of the onboard video. clear your cmos and try booting. That’s if you haven’t already tried this

i have tried that exept for the cmos part, what does cmos mean?

[QUOTE=Rudey;2169333]right well, just tryed booting it with just the CPU, 1 ram stick, and 1 HDD, didnt work again.
My 4/8 pin connector is actualy a 2 pin connecter, the 2 pins are the powersw pin and the ground pin, they are the 2 pins that allow you to switch ur motherboard on from the on/off button (the 2 pins are definately plugged into their correct slots).
I dont have my other pins in because they dont reach their position in the motherboard by about 2cm’s. It should still boot with the 2 pins inserted, because the other pins only do things such as PowerLED or System Speakers.[/QUOTE]

Well thats your problem right there, the 4/8 pin power connector is required. You should remove your PSU and plug EVERYTHING in and try again. And no, the 4/8 connector is to power the cpu not fans and speakers. Those tiny wires for the front panel buttons are not power in any way.

required:

ohhh i thought you were talking about something else, well ofcourse i have the 4/8 pin power plug connected, always have

Yeah, if you havent tried clearing the CMOS yet, then try that. Look in your MB manuel it should show you a jumper to switch that will clear the BIOS, some MB’s need this done to get things going. Make sure the power switch on your PSU is off before doing thing (or simply unplug the PSU from the wall). Then try again booting with one stick of ram.

Cleared my CMOS, still not working