Most compatable cd burner

vbimport

Does anyone have recomendation for a prosumer cd burner (Windows) that will be most widely compatable. I am a pro photographer and some clients say they can’t open my cd ont heir computer, but I can open it on mine without any problems

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

What brands of discs are you using? As that could well be the problem, as well as your burn speed.

Nevertheless, the Plextor Premium (or Premium II) would probably be the best if you can find one. Not cheap, though.

Personally I think my Samsung DVD burners (2x SH-S182D) do a good job of CD burning, as does my Optiarc AD-5170S.

yeah the burner,burn speed,and media play a big part.

Thanks for the quick response, I just ordered some gold archive cd to try. I should have mentioned that the burner I have is the one that came w/ sony Vaio. I read sowhere that sony drives are perhaps “special” in some bad way…

Grab this free tool 4.7.7.15 and put a disc in and post a screen shot from the Disc Info tab > http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

Edit:
Also where do you live? USA,EU etc…?

[QUOTE=Tony Molatore;2030988]Does anyone have recomendation for a prosumer cd burner (Windows) that will be most widely compatable. I am a pro photographer and some clients say they can’t open my cd ont heir computer, but I can open it on mine without any problems[/QUOTE]

First welcome to CDfreaks :slight_smile:

First we need more details about the media you are using and the type of your CD/DVD burner.

If you are using Nero you should find it out using the Nero Info Tool. WinOnCD, Roxio EasyCD/DVD Creator and other burning programs should also have this ability. But I’m not familar with all burning programs.

In most cases the reading problems caused of bad media quality. For this reason it is always a good choice to buy a good brand like Verbatim or genuine Taiyo Yuden media.

If you would like to buy a new CD burner I’d also recommend the Plextor Premium II (like Arachne) as “high end” CD burner. It is a very expensive drive but it is also a very good one. You should still get this drive even if it is not in production anymore. The good thing is the Plextor drive is able to make very reliable CD quality scans with the Plextools under Windows.

I also have the Samsung SH-S182M and SH-S202N and both drives also do a good job burning CDs. For this reason I also recommend this drives. Unfortunately the Samsung drives does not support CD quality scans (if I remember correct, I never tried this). The Quality scans of DVDs are finaly ok with the SH-S202N, but DVDs were not asked…

Have you given thought to the possibility that it isn’t the burner or the media? That it could be your (or more likely their) software? For example, the newer versions of UDF (and ISO-9660 level 3) isn’t always compatible with older computers. I know it’s a pain, but using ISO-9660 level 1 or 2 or even Joliet is the best bet for compatibility.