More than 2 Hours?

vbimport

Is there a way to burn more than two hours on one DVD+R?

Welcome to the forum. :slight_smile:

Edit: You may be able to overburn (but I don’t know by how much), or if it’s a movie, just compress it to fit.

Well, I’m trying to burn Scarface without menus or extras, and I’m using DVDFab Dec. The movie is about 2 hrs and 50 mins long.

Ah, OK. Rip it with DVDFab Decrypter to ISO, then grab DVD Shrink, and load the ISO into it. There you should be able to remove any extras you don’t want, and Shrink will compress it to fit on a single layer disc. :slight_smile:

The runtime of the movie is not the issue. Only the total size of the data matters. With a good encoder or use of software like KVCD, you can fit easily more than 5 hours of DVD-Video content if you really want to.

Yes, most shrining programs are designed to make the disc fit onto a single layer disc.

Even though DL discs hold “4 hours” of video on them, you’ll find many with 5 or more hours on there. It’s all about compression.

Use DVD shrink and enable all the settings for the best quality compression. You’ll find that even a 3 hour movie won’t look much different to the original unless you have a massive TV.

The whole “2 hour per Single Layer disc” thing is only the recommended recording time in set-top DVD Recorders.

If you’re backing up an original DVD, then you could probably fit more than 4-5 hours of Video on one Single Layer disc without even noticing much of a difference in picture quality.

Apps such as DVD Shrink and DVD2One can compress DVDs so well that the picture quality between the original and the backup is negligible.

On what size display do you view such compressed movies on? as I find it quite easy to notice if a movie has been transcoded with higher compression with DVDshrink/etc by the noticeable macro blocking in motion scenes on even small sized displays. I must just be more sensitive to this than most people :wink:

The biggest screen TV I’ve got is a 32 inch Widescreen. I have to admit that I really can’t notice much difference between the original and the backup.

I might notice if I was watching the backup on a 28 inch or higher HD or LCD TV though. You get more dots per inch on those displays than on a standard TV after all. :rolleyes:

I only have standard TVs in my home, so I’ll probably never notice. :bigsmile:

If DVD shrink has to compress to lower than about 80%, I definately notice on my 56" DLP display, even with the quality options turned on. Anything from 80% - 99% is a tossup… Rarely do I notice, and when I do it’s only at certain scenes.